Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers: Cross-Cultural Adaptation and Validation in Spain
- 664 Downloads
Early detection and treatment have been shown to be effective in reducing disability severity caused by Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASDs). As Spanish pediatricians have no detection tool, the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (M-CHAT) was first translated into and culturally adapted to Spanish. Validity and reliability studies were carried out in two different geographical areas of Spain, where M-CHAT was administered to two different samples, namely: 2,480 high- and low-risk children; and 2,055 low-risk children. The results obtained were similar to those yielded by the original M-CHAT studies. Differences were found in positive predictive value, due to the low ASD frequency observed in this study. M-CHAT is still being studied in a large population-based screening program in Spain.
KeywordsAutism Screening Validation M-CHAT Psychometric values
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.Google Scholar
- Canal-Bedia, R. (2001). Referencia Conjunta y Autismo. In A. Riviere & J. Martos (Eds.), Autismo: Comprensión y explicación actual (pp. 57–72). Madrid: APNA_IMSERSO.Google Scholar
- Dawson, G., & Osterling, J. (1997). Early intervention in autism. The effectiveness of early interventions. In M. J. Guralnick (Ed.), The effectiveness of early intervention (pp. 307–326). Baltimore: Brookes.Google Scholar
- Díez-Cuervo, A., Muñoz-Yunta, J. A., Fuentes-Biggi, J., Canal-Bedia, R., Idiazábal-Aletxa, M. A., Ferrari-Arroyo, M. J., et al. (2005). Guía de buena práctica para el diagnóstico de los trastornos del espectro autista. Revue Neurologique, 41, 299–310.Google Scholar
- Filipek, P. A., Accardo, P. J., Ashwal, S., Baranek, G. T., Cook, E. H., Jr., Dawson, G., et al. (2000). Practice parameter: Screening and diagnosis of autism: Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Child Neurology Society. Neurology, 55, 468–479.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- GETEA. (2003). Análisis del Diagnóstico de afectados de Autismo y Planificación del Registro Español de TEA. http://iier.isciii.es/autismo/pdf/aut_if04.pdf.
- Inada, N., Koyama, T., Inokuchi, E., Kuroda, M., & Kamio, Y. (2010). Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of the modified checklist for autism in toddlers (M-CHAT). Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. doi:10.1016/j.rasd.2010.04.016.
- International Test Commission. (2010). Test adaptation guidelines. Retrieved June 20, 2010, from http://www.intestcom.org/.
- Kleinman, J. M., Robins, D. L., Ventola, P. E., Pandey, J., Boorstein, H. C., Esser, E. L., et al. (2007). The modified checklist for autism in toddlers: A follow-up study investigating the early detection of autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism of Developmental Disorders, 38, 827–839.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lord, C., Risi, S., Lambrecht, L., Cook, E. H., Jr., Leventhal, B. L., DiLavore, P. C., et al. (2000). The autism diagnostic observation schedule-generic: A standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. Journal of Autism of Developmental Disorders, 30, 205–223.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rapin, I. (1995). Physicians’ testing of children with developmental disabilities. Journal of Child Neurology, 10(Suppl), 11–15.Google Scholar
- Roid, G. H., & Sampers, J. (2004). Merrill-Palmer Developmental Scale, Revised manual. Wood Dale, IL: Stoelting.Google Scholar
- Sparrow, S., Balla, D., & Cicchetti, D. (1984). Vineland adaptive behavior scales: Interview edition. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Services.Google Scholar
- Tonge, B., Brereton, A., Kiomall, M., Mackinnon, A., King, N., & Rinehart, N. (2006). Effects on parental mental health of an education and skills training program for parents of young children with autism: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescence Psychiatry, 45(5), 561–569.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ventola, P., Kleinman, J., Pandey, J., Wilson, L., Esser, E., Boorstein, H., et al. (2007). Differentiating between autism spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities in children who failed a screening instrument for ASD. Journal of Autism of Developmental Disorders, 37, 425–436.CrossRefGoogle Scholar