Poly(crystal violet)/graphene-modified electrode for the simultaneous determination of trace lead and cadmium ions in water samples
- 447 Downloads
A novel poly(crystal violet)/graphene-modified glassy carbon electrode (PCV/Gr/GCE) was fabricated for the simultaneous determination of Pb2+ and Cd2+. The electrochemical behavior of both species at the PCV/Gr/GCE was investigated employing cyclic voltammetry. In acetate buffer, the modified electrode showed an excellent electrocatalytical effect on the oxidation of both species and was further used for their determination. Under optimized analytical conditions, the oxidation peak currents of Pb2+ and Cd2+ obtained by differential pulse voltammetry in pH 4.6 acetate buffer showed a linear relationship with their concentrations in the ranges of 2.00 × 10−8–1.95 × 10−5 mol L−1 and 4.00 × 10−8–5.58 × 10−5 mol L−1, respectively. The developed method has excellent sensitivity, selectivity, reproducibility and has been successfully applied to the determination of Pb2+ and Cd2+ in water samples.
KeywordsPoly(crystal violet)/graphene-modified electrode Lead and cadmium Cyclic voltammetry Differential pulse voltammetry
This work was financially supported by a project of Shandong Province Higher Educational Science and Technology Program (J12LD53) and Heze University Scientific Research Fund (XY12BS07).
- 3.Siddiqui S (2012) Lead induced genotoxicity in Vigna mungo var. HD-94. J Saudi Soc Agric Sci 11:107–112Google Scholar
- 5.Hartwig A (1994) Role of DNA repair inhibition in lead- and cadmium-induced genotoxicity: a review. Environ Health Perspect 102:45–50Google Scholar
- 7.Ma X, Chao M, Chen M (2013) Simultaneous electrochemical determination of norepinephrine, ascorbic acid and uric acid using a graphene modified glassy carbon electrode. Russ J Electrochem. doi: 10.1134/s1023193513050108
- 13.de Carvalho LM, do Nasciniento PC, Koschinsky A, Bau M, Stefanello RF, Spengler C, Bohrer D, Jost C (2007) Simultaneous determination of cadmium, lead, copper, and thallium in highly saline samples by anodic stripping voltammetry (ASV) using mercury-film and bismuth-film electrodes. Electroanalysis 19:1719–1726Google Scholar
- 19.Nagles E, Arancibia V, Rios R (2012) Determination of lead and cadmium in the presence of quercetin-5′-sulfonic acid by adsorptive stripping voltammetry with a hanging mercury drop electrode and a nafion-coated mercury film electrode. Int J Electrochem Sci 7:4545–4558Google Scholar
- 20.Nagles E, Arancibia V, Rios R, Rojas C (2012) Simultaneous determination of lead and cadmium in the presence of morin by adsorptive stripping voltammetry with a nafion-ionic liquid-coated mercury film electrode. Int J Electrochem Sci 7:5521–5533Google Scholar
- 23.Sherigara BS, Shivaraj Y, Mascarenhas RJ, Satpati AK (2007) Simultaneous determination of lead, copper and cadmium onto mercury film supported on wax impregnated carbon paste electrode—assessment of quantification procedures by anodic stripping voltammetry. Electrochim Acta 52:3137–3142CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Toghill KE, Wildgoose GG, Moshar A, Mulcahy C, Compton RG (2008) The fabrication and characterization of a bismuth nanoparticle modified boron doped diamond electrode and its application to the simultaneous determination of cadmium(II) and lead(II). Electroanalysis 20:1731–1737CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 45.Chao M, Ma X, Li X (2012) Graphene-modified electrode for the selective determination of uric acid under coexistence of dopamine and ascorbic acid. Int J Electrochem Sci 7:2201–2213Google Scholar