Preparation and evaluation of RuO2–IrO2, IrO2–Pt and IrO2–Ta2O5 catalysts for the oxygen evolution reaction in an SPE electrolyzer
- 1.3k Downloads
IrO2–RuO2, IrO2–Pt and IrO2–Ta2O5 electrocatalysts were synthesized and characterized for the oxygen evolution in a Solid Polymer Electrolyte (SPE) electrolyzer. These mixtures were characterized by XRD and SEM. The anode catalyst powders were sprayed onto Nafion 117 membrane (catalyst coated membrane, CCM), using Pt catalyst at the cathode. The CCM procedure was extended to different in-house prepared catalyst formulations to evaluate if such a method could be applied to electrolyzers containing durable titanium backings. The catalyst loading at the anode was about 6 mg cm−2, whereas 1 mg cm−2 Pt was used at the cathode. The electrochemical activity for water electrolysis was investigated in a single cell SPE electrolyzer at 80 °C. It was found that the terminal voltage obtained with Ir–Ta oxide was slightly lower than that obtained with IrO2–Pt and IrO2–RuO2 at low current density (lower than 0.15 A cm−2). At higher current density, the IrO2–Pt and IrO2–RuO2 catalysts performed better than Ir–Ta oxide.
KeywordsOxygen evolution Water electrolysis Solid polymer electrolyte Oxides
CNR-ITAE authors acknowledge Tozzi S.p.A. for financial support. L.G. Arriaga thanks CNR-ITAE and Conacyt-QROO-2005-C01-18975 for economic support.
- 3.Oberlin R, Fischer M (1986) In: Proceedings of the sixth world hydrogen energy conference on hydrogen energy progress VI. Pergamon Press, NY, USA, p 333Google Scholar
- 4.Morales SL, Arriaga LG, Cano U, Acosta R (2006) In: ECS Transactions, vol 3. Proton exchange membrane fuel cells 6. The Electrochemical Society, NJ, USA, p 115Google Scholar
- 15.Rolewicz J, Comninellis Ch, Plattner E, Hinden J (1988) Chimia 42:75Google Scholar
- 16.Montgomery Douglas C (2002) Probabilidad y Estadistica aplicadas a la Ingenieria, 2nd edn. Limusa Wiley, Madrid, EspañaGoogle Scholar
- 17.Lopez M, Schleunung A, Biberbach P (2002) Patent no. WO2005049199Google Scholar