SFG and DFG investigation of Au(111), Au(210), polycrystalline Au, Au–Cu and Au–Ag–Cu electrodes in contact with aqueous solutions containing KCN and 4-cyanopyridine
- 123 Downloads
We report on potential-dependent in situ SFG and DFG spectroscopy carried out at Au(111), Au(210), polycrystalline Au, Au–Cu and Au–Ag–Cu electrodes in contact with aqueous solutions containing CN− and 4-cyanopyridine (4CP). Spectroelectrochemical work was complemented by cyclic voltammetry. The chief stress has been placed on systematising and quantifying the interaction between 4CP and CN− and the attending effects on the vibrational and electronic structures of the interface. The voltammetric behaviour of the investigated electrodes, modified by the addition of 4CP to the CN− electrolyte, denote changes in the CN− adsorption characteristics and effects of the adsorbed CN− layer on the electrodic reactivity of 4CP. The differences among the investigated electrodes can be explained in terms of their respective degrees of atomic packing or with alloying effects on the stability of adsorbed CN−. The potential-dependent spectra have been analysed quantitatively with a model for the second order non linear susceptibility accounting for vibrational and electronic effects. The spectral changes induced by addition of 4CP denote interaction of the aromatic with the electrode through the CN− monolayer. The non-resonant contribution yields information on the effects of 4CP on the fine structure of the bound electron density of states.
KeywordsSFG DFG Cyanide 4-cyanopyridine Au(111) Au(210) Au–Cu Au–Ag–Cu
Highly qualified and continuous technical assistance by the SFG collaborators and CLIO staff, Bâtiment 209D, Centre Universitaire Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay, France, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Yang DF, Lipkowski J (1995) Russian J Electrochem 31:768Google Scholar
- 4.Pluchery O (2000) Thèse de doctorat. Université Paris XIGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bozzini B, Fanigliulo A, Mele C (2003) Trans IMF 81:59Google Scholar
- 13.Bozzini B, D’Urzo L, Mele C A SERS investigation of the electrodeposition of Cu from acidic sulphate solutions in the presence of 4-cyanopyridine (In preparation)Google Scholar
- 27.Bozzini B, Busson B, De Gaudenzi GP, Mele C, Tadjeddine A (2008) J Solid State Electrochem 12:303 Google Scholar
- 28.Bozzini B, Busson B, De Gaudenzi GP, Mele C, Tadjeddine A (2007) J Alloys Compd 427:341Google Scholar
- 29.Tadjeddine A, Le Rille A (1999) In: Wieckowski A (ed) Interfacial electrochemistry. Dekker, NY, p 317Google Scholar
- 30.Le Rille A (1997) Thèse de doctorat. Université de Paris-sudGoogle Scholar
- 31.Vidal F (2003) Thèse de doctorat. Université Paris XIGoogle Scholar
- 34.Pauli W (2000) Optics and the theory of electrons. Dover Publications Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar