Electrooxidation of benzyl alcohol and benzaldehyde on a nickel oxy-hydroxide electrode in a filter-press type cell
- 360 Downloads
The electrooxidation of benzyl alcohol and benzaldehyde in alkaline medium was carried out in a filter-press type cell on a nickel oxy-hydroxide electrode under different experimental conditions. An overpotential occurs in the presence of organic molecules in the solution shifting oxygen evolution towards higher potentials. The results obtained were conclusive that benzyl alcohol and benzaldehyde electrooxidation on NiOOH layers yielded benzoic acid as the main final reaction product. Chromatographic analysis of the bulk solution showed that the electrocatalytic oxidation of harmful molecules was carried out until the formation of acid compounds (benzoic acid) as an ultimate stage, suggesting that a Ni anode can be used successfully for waste remediation.
Keywordsbenzaldehyde benzyl alcohol electrooxidation filter-press cell nickel oxy-hydroxide electrode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was mainly conducted within under the framework of a collaborative programme between the USP (University of São Paulo) and the COFECUB (Comité Français d’Evaluation de la Coopération Universitaire avec le Brésil). The authors thank Mrs. R Colombo and Miss D. M. dos Anjos for their help during the chromatographic analyses. AJM, GTF and ERG also thank FAPESP, CNPq and CAPES, Brazil.
- 6.Bottino A., Capannelli G., Comite A., Di Felice R. (1971) Catal. Today 31: 39Google Scholar
- 11.Vertes G., Horanyi G., Nagy F. (1972) Croat. Chem. Acta 44: 21Google Scholar
- 12.H. J. Schafer, in E. Steckhan (Ed.), Topics in Current Electrochemistry, Vol. 142 (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987), p. 101Google Scholar
- 28.G. Barral, F. Njanjo-Evoke and S. Maximovitch, Electrochim. Acta 40 (1995) 705; 40 (1995) 2815Google Scholar
- 38.D. Floner, PhD Thesis, University of Poitiers (1988)Google Scholar