Photocatalytic degradation of aromatic sulfonates present in industrial percolates
- 50 Downloads
Photocatalytic treatment in the presence of aqueous TiO2 suspensions was applied to an aqueous percolate containing various hydrophilic aromatic pollutants, in particular naphthalene sulfonates. A preliminary feasibility study was accomplished on standards of pure compounds, for which a degradation rate trend inversely proportional to the sulfonation degree was found, demonstrating the important role played by the substrate adsorption on semiconductor particles. The evolution of primary processes, the abatement of TOC and the release of sulfate were monitored. Further experiments performed on samples of percolates taken from an abandoned industrial site demonstrated the suitability of photocatalysis for the effective destruction and mineralization of the investigated contaminants in these complex matrices after a few hours irradiation.
Keywordsaromatic sulfonates percolate treatment photocatalysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Pramauro, A.B. Prevot, M. Lucchiari, V. Maurino, C. Minero, E. Pelizzetti and D. Vione, in P. Canepa (ed.), Extraction, Concentration and Abatement of Organic Pollutants Present in the ACNA site (Progetto Sisifo, INCA, Mestre 2002) pp. 129–149.Google Scholar
- 3.Serpone, N., Pelizzetti, E. 1989Photocatalysis. Fundamental and ApplicationsJ. WileyNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Pichat, P., Guillard, C., Maillard, C., Amalric, L., D’Oliveira, J.C. 1993TiO2 photocatalytic destruction of water aromatic pollutants. Intermediates; properties-degradability correlation; effect of inorganic ions and TiO2 surface areaOllis, D.F.Al-Ekabi, H. eds. Photocatalytic Purification and Treatment of Water and AirElsevierAmsterdam207223Google Scholar
- 5.D. Bahnemann, J. Cunningham, M.A. Fox, E. Pelizzetti, P. Pichat and N. Serpone, in G.R. Helz, R.G. Zepp, D.G. Crosby (eds), Aquatic and Surface Photochemistry. (Lewis, Boca Raton (FL), 1994), Ch. 21, pp. 261–316.Google Scholar
- 9.Castillo, M., Alonso, M.C., Riu, J., Reinke, M., Klöter, G., Dizer, H., Fischer, B., Hansen, P.D., Barceló, D. 2001Anal. Chim. Acta426265Google Scholar
- 11.Gerischer, H., Heller, A. 1992J. Electrochem. Soc139113Google Scholar
- 13.Martin, S.T., Kesselman, J.M., Park, D.S., Lewis, N.S., Hoffmann, M.R. 1996Environ. Sci. Technol302535Google Scholar
- 15.J. Augustynski, Struct. Bonding. 69 (1998) Berlin, Chap.1.Google Scholar