A scalable multi-attribute hybrid overlay for range queries on the cloud
- 262 Downloads
Cloud computing has become a promising paradigm as next generation computing model, by providing computation, software, data access, and storage services that do not need to know the location of physical resources interconnected across the globe providing such services. In such an environment, important issues as information sharing and resource/service discovery arise. In order to overcome critical limitations in centralized approaches for information sharing and resource/service discovery, this paper proposes a framework of a scalable multi-attribute hybrid overlay featured with decentralized information sharing, flexible resource/service discovery, fault tolerance and load balancing. Additionally, the proposed hybrid overlay integrates a structured P2P system with an unstructured one to support complex queries. Mechanisms such as load balancing and fault tolerance implemented in our proposed system to improve the overall system performance are also discussed. Experimental results show that the performance of the proposed approach is feasible and stable, as the proposed hybrid overlay improves system performance by reducing the number of routing hops and balancing the load by migrating requests.
KeywordsCloud Peer-to-peer Hybrid overlay Multi-attribute Range query Scalability
This study was sponsored by the National Science Council, Taiwan, Republic of China under contract numbers: NSC 97-2221-E-142-001-MY3, and NSC 99-2218-E-007-001.
- Chen, Z., Zhao, Y., Miao, X., Chen, Y., & Wang, Q. (2009) Rapid Provisioning of Cloud Infrastructure Leveraging Peer-to-Peer Networks. 29th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, pp. 324–329.Google Scholar
- Crespo, A., & Garcia-Molina, H. (2004). Semantic overlay networks for P2P systems (pp. 1–13). Computing: Third International Workshop on Agents and Peer-to-Peer.Google Scholar
- Gil, T. M., Kaashoek, F., Li, J., Morris, R., & Stribling, J. (2005). P2PSim. http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/p2psim. Accessed 10 January 2011.
- Ion, S., Robert, M., David, K., Kaashoek, M. F., & Hari, B. (2001). Chord: a scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications. The 2001 conference on Applications, technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer communications, pp. 149–160.Google Scholar
- Jelasity, M., Montresor, A., Jesi, G. P., & Voulgaris, S. (2009). PeerSim. http://peersim.sourceforge.net. Accessed 15 January 2011.
- Jin, H., & Ning, X. (2007). Improving search in peer-to-peer literature sharing systems via semantic small world. 15th EUROMICRO International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing, 31-38.Google Scholar
- Lai, K. C., & Yu, Y. F. (2010). A semi-structured overlay for multi-attribute range queries in cloud computing. 13th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering.Google Scholar
- Lin, Y. H. (2009). SARIDS: A self-adaptive resource index and discovery system. Ph. D. Thesis, National Tsing-Hua University.Google Scholar
- Liu, F., Luo, X., Yu, J., & Liang, G. (2009). Semantic cloud based on SLN and ALN. 15th International Conference on Semantics, Knowledge and Grid, pp. 314–317.Google Scholar
- Marzolla, M., Mordacchini, M., & Orlando, S. (2006). A P2P resource discovery system based on a forest of trees. 3rd int. Workshop on Grid and Peer-to-Peer Computing Impacts on Large Scale Heterogeneous Distributed Database Systems (GLOBE’06),pp. 261–265.Google Scholar
- Ohnishi, K., Nagamatsu, S., Okamura T., & Oie, Y. (2007). Autonomously reconstructable semi-structured P2P networks for file sharing. 3rd International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems, 10.Google Scholar
- Reschka, T. (2009). INET Framework. http://inet.omnetpp.org. Accessed 10 January 2011.
- Rieche, S., Vinh, B. T., & Wehrle, K. (2008). Range Queries and Load Balancing in a Hierarchically Structured P2P System. 33 rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, pp. 28–35.Google Scholar
- Shen, H., Li, Z., Li, T., & Zhu, Y. (2008). PIRD: P2P-based intelligent resource discovery in inter-net-based distributed systems. 28th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 858-865.Google Scholar
- Shenker, S. (2004). IRIS: Infrastructure for resilient internet systems. http://iris.csail.mit.edu. Accessed 10 January 2011.
- Varga, A. (2009). OMNeT++. http://www.OMNeTpp.org. Accessed 10 January 2011.
- Watanabe, K., Hayashibara N., & Takizawa, M. (2007). A superpeer-based two-layer P2P overlay network with the CBF strategy. 1st International Conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems, pp. 111–118.Google Scholar