Inter- and intraobserver repeatability and reproducibility of choroidal thickness measurements using two different methods
- 39 Downloads
To measure the inter- and intraobserver repeatability and reproducibility of choroidal thickness measurements taken by the enhanced depth imaging of spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (EDI-OCT) in randomly selected subjects using two different protocols.
Twenty subjects of the Thessaloniki Eye Study database were randomly selected. The participants underwent EDI-OCT, and the choroidal thickness was measured on EDI images using two different protocols. All images were assessed by two examiners independently in two sessions in different days.
The interobserver intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) for average choroidal thickness was 0.944. The average ICC for central, Cmin, and Cmax choroidal thickness was 0.899, 0.863, and 0.955, respectively. The interobserver ICC for average choroidal volume was 0.932. Intraobserver repeatability ICC for grader 1 ranged between 0.925 and 0.9720 and for grader 2 between 0.913 and 0.994.
Choroidal thickness measurements by EDI-OCT showed a high inter- and intraobserver reproducibility.
KeywordsChoroidal thickness EDI Repeatability
We would like to thank the ophthalmic technicians of the LaRCAO, 1st Department of Ophthalmology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, AHEPA Hospital, Irini Lachoura, Evgenia Zamba, Evmorfia Amiridou, Grigoria Tzoanou and Anastasia Rapti for their work and professionalism that greatly assisted the research. We are also grateful to Fei Yu from the Department of Biostatistics, UCLA, who provided advice that greatly assisted the research.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 9.Zheng F, Gregory G, Schaal KB, Legarreta AD, Miller AR, Roisman L et al (2016) Choroidal thickness and choroidal vessel density in nonexudative age-related macular degeneration using swept-source optical coherence tomography imaging. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 57(14):6256–6264. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.16-20161 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Koizumi H, Kano M, Yamamoto A, Saito M, Maruko Ι, Sekiryu T et al (2016) Subfoveal choroidal thickness during aflibercept therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: 12-month results. Ophthalmology 123(3):617–624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.10.039 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Bressler SB, Edwards AR, Chalam KV, Bressler NM, Glassman AR, Jaffe GJ et al (2014) Reproducibility of spectral-domain optical coherence tomography retinal thickness measurements and conversion to equivalent time-domain metrics in diabetic macular edema. JAMA Ophthalmol 132(9):1113–1122. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2014.1698 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Chhablani J, Barteseli G, Wang H, El-Emam S, Kozak I, Doede AL et al (2012) Repeatability and reproducibility of manual choroidal volume measurements using enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53(4):2274–2280. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.12-9435 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yamashita T, Yamashita T, La ShirasawDa Cruz M, Arimura N, Terasaki H, Sakamoto T (2012) Repeatability and reproducibility of subfoveal choroidal thickness in normal eyes of Japanese using different SD-OCT devices. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53(3):1102–1107. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.11-8836 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Shao L, Xu L, Chen CX, Yang LH, Du KF, Wang S et al (2013) Reproducibility of subfoveal choroidal thickness measurements with enhanced depth imaging by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54(1):230–233. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.12-10351 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Kim JS, Knickelbein JE, Jaworski L, Kaushal P, Vitale S, Nussenblatt RB et al (2016) Enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography in uveitis: an intravisit and interobserver reproducibility study. Am J Ophthalmol 164:49–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/jajo.2016.01.004 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 28.Sim DA, Keane PA, Mehta H, Fung S, Zarranz-Ventura J, Fruttiger M et al (2013) Repeatability and reproducibility of choroidal vessel layer measurements in diabetic retinopathy using enhanced depth optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54(4):2893–2901. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.12-11.085 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Lu H, Boonarpha N, Kwong MT, Zheng Y (2013) Automated segmentation of the choroid in retinal optical coherence tomography images. In: IEEE 35th Annual Inter-national Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). p 5869–72Google Scholar
- 33.Danesh H, Kafieh R, Rabbani H, Hajizadeh F. (2014) Segmentation of choroidal boundary in enhanced depth imaging OCTs using a multiresolution texture based modeling in graph cuts. Comput Math Methods MedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Gupta P, Jing T, Marziliano P, Cheung CY, Baskaran M, Lamoureux EL et al (2015) Distribution and determinants of choroidal thickness and volume using automated segmentation software in a population-based study. Am J Ophthalmol 159(2):293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2014.10.034 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Springelkamp H, Lee K, Wolfs RC, Buitendijk GH, Ramdas WD, Hofman A et al (2014) Population-based evaluation of retinal nerve fiber layer, retinal ganglion cell layer, and inner plexiform layer as a diagnostic tool for glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 55(12):8428–8438CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 40.Group E (1991) Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group.ETDRS report number 10. Grading diabetic retinopathy from stereoscopic color fundus photographs—an extension of the modified Airlie House classification. Ophthalmology 1991(98):786–806Google Scholar
- 43.Adhi M, Liu JJ, Qavi AH, Grulkowski I, Lu CD, Mohler KJ et al (2014) Choroidal analysis in healthy eyes using swept-source optical coherence tomography compared to spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Am J Ophthalmol 157(6):1272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2014.02.034 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.Chhablani J, Barteseli G, Bartsch DU, Kozak I, Wang H, El-Emam S et al (2013) Influence of scanning density on macular choroidal volume measurement using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 251(5):1303–1309. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-012-2188-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar