Quinazoline clubbed 1,3,5-triazine derivatives as VEGFR2 kinase inhibitors: design, synthesis, docking, in vitro cytotoxicity and in ovo antiangiogenic activity
A series of quinazoline clubbed 1,3,5-triazine derivatives (QCT) were synthesized and evaluated for their in vitro anticancer activity against HeLa (human cervical cancer), MCF-7 (human breast cancer cell), HL-60 (human promyelocytic leukemia cell), HepG2 (human Hepatocellular carcinoma cell), and one normal cell line HFF (human foreskin fibroblasts). In vitro assay result encouraged to further move towards in ovo anticancer evaluation using chick embryo. The series of QCT derivatives showed higher anticancer and antiangiogenic activity against HeLa and MCF-7 cell lines. In the series, synthetic molecule 8d, 8l, and 8m displayed significant activity. Further, these results substantiated by docking study on VGFR2. SAR study concluded that the potency of drugs depends on the nature of aliphatic substitution and the heterocyclic ring system.
KeywordsMTT assay Angiogenesis inhibition assay 1,3,5-Triazine Quinazoline derivative VGFR2 docking
The authors are thankful to the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, FHS, SHUATS, Allahabad for proving essential facility and support to perform this study. The author also acknowledged to Dr. Sachin Sakat for statistical analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared that there is no conflict of interest.
- Folkman J (2006) Angiogenesis. Annu Rev Med 57:1–18. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.med.57.121304.131306 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kumar V, Bhatt PC, Rahman M et al (2017a) Fabrication, optimization, and characterization of umbelliferone β-d-galactopyranoside-loaded PLGA nanoparticles in treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: in vitro and in vivo studies. Int J Nanomed 12:6747–6758. https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S136629 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumar V, Bhatt PC, Rahman M et al (2017b) Umbelliferon-α-d-glucopyranosyl-(2 I → 1 II)-α-d-glucopyranoside ameliorates diethylnitrosamine induced precancerous lesion development in liver via regulation of inflammation, hyperproliferation and antioxidant at pre-clinical stage. Biomed Pharmacother 94:834–842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2017.07.047 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Patel RM, Patel SK (2011) Cytotoxic activity of methanolic extract of Artocarpus heterophyllus against a549, hela and mcf-7 cell lines. J Appl Pharm Sci 1:167–171Google Scholar
- Srivastava JK, Pillai GG, Bhat HR et al (2017) Design and discovery of novel monastrol-1, 3, 5-triazines as potent anti-breast cancer agent via attenuating epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase. Scientific Reports 7:5851. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-05934-5 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Verma A, Bhatt PC, Kaithwas G et al (2016) Chemomodulatory effect Melastoma Malabathricum Linn against chemically induced renal carcinogenesis rats via attenuation of inflammation, oxidative stress, and early markers of tumor expansion. Inflammopharmacology 24:233–251. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-016-0276-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Verma A, Singh D, Anwar F et al (2017b) Triterpenoids principle of Wedelia calendulacea attenuated diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatocellular carcinoma via down-regulating oxidative stress, inflammation and pathology via NF-kB pathway. Inflammopharmacology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-017-0350-3 Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (2012) WHO. World Health Statistics 2012, GenevaGoogle Scholar