Sensitive Spectroscopic Analysis of Biomarkers in Exhaled Breath
- 70 Downloads
We have developed a novel optical setup which is based on a high finesse cavity and absorption laser spectroscopy in the near-IR spectral region. In pilot experiments, spectrally resolved absorption measurements of biomarkers in exhaled breath, such as methane and acetone, were carried out using cavity ring-down spectroscopy (CRDS). With a 172-cm-long cavity, an efficient optical path of ~ 132 km was achieved. The CRDS technique is well suited for such measurements due to its high sensitivity and good spectral resolution. The detection limits for methane of ~ 8 ppbv and acetone of ~ 2.1 ppbv with spectral sampling of 0.005 cm−1 were achieved, which allowed to analyze multicomponent gas mixtures and to observe absorption peaks of 12CH4 and 13CH4. Further improvements of the technique have the potential to realize diagnostics of health conditions based on a multicomponent analysis of breath samples.
KeywordsAbsorption spectroscopy Breath analysis Cavity ring-down
This work was supported by the Robert A. Welch Foundation Grant No. A1546 and the Qatar Foundation under the Grant NPRP 8-735-1-154. AB thanks for the support of the Turkish Ministry of Education, and EA thanks for the support of the Higher Committee for Educational Development in Iraq (HCED).
- 7.K.M. Paschke, A. Mashir, R.A. Dweik, Med. Rep. 2, 56 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Z.Y. Gong, M.X. Sun, C.Y. Jiang, Z.N. Wang, M.L. Kang, Y.X. Li, C. Wang, J. Anal. Bioanal. Tech. S7, 013 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.R. Polikar, R. Shinar, V. Honavar, L. Upda, M. D. Porter, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), vol 5 (Salt Lake City, US, 8–11 May 2001), p. 3137 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.A. Anton, A. Agapiou, in 4th International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare—Transforming Healthcare Through Innovations in Mobile and Wireless Technologies (MOBIHEALTH 2014), Athens, 2014, p. 250Google Scholar
- 22.U. Tisch, S. Billan, M. Ilouze, M. Phillips, N. Peledand, H. Haick, CML Lung Cancer 5, 107 (2012)Google Scholar
- 26.K. Namjou, C.B. Roller, G. McMillen, in Proceedings of the 6th Annual IEEE Conference on Sensors, Atlanta, GA, USA (2007), p. 1337Google Scholar