RELATIONS BETWEEN TEACHING AND RESEARCH IN PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY AND MATHEMATICS AT RESEARCH-INTENSIVE UNIVERSITIES
- 261 Downloads
We examine the relationship between research and teaching practices as they are enacted by university professors in a research-intensive university. First we propose a theoretical model for the study of this relationship based on Chevallard’s anthropological theory. This model is used to design and analyze an interview study with physical geographers and mathematicians at the University of Copenhagen. We found significant differences in how the respondents from the two disciplines assessed the relationship between research and teaching. Above all, while geography research practices are often and smoothly integrated into geography teaching even at the undergraduate level, teaching in mathematics may at best be ‘similar’ to mathematical research practice, at least at the undergraduate level. Finally, we discuss the educational implications of these findings.
Key wordsdidactics mathematics physical geography teaching-research nexus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Artigue, M. (1994). Didactical engineering as a framework for the conception of teaching products. In R. Biehler et al (Ed.), Didactics of Mathematics as a scientific discipline (pp. 27–39. ) Dordrecht: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Burton, L. (2004). Mathematicians as enquirers. Kluwer: Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Chevallard, Y. (1999). L’analyse des pratiques enseignantes en théorie anthropologique du didactique. Recherches en Didactique des Mathématiques, 19(2), 221–265.Google Scholar
- Chevallard, Y. (2002). Organiser l’étude 3. Écologie & régulation. In J.L. Dorier et al (Ed.), Actes de la 11 e école de didactique des mathématiques. Grenoble: La Pensée Sauvage.Google Scholar
- Halmos, P.R. (1985). I want to be a mathematician: an automathography. New York: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Hattie, J. & Marsh, H.W. (1996). The relationship between teaching and research: a meta-analysis. Review of Educational Research, 66(4), 507–544.Google Scholar
- von Mises, L. (1949). Human Action. A treatise on economics. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Rump, C. & Winsløw, C. (to appear). The role and means for tertiary didactics in a faculty of science. In O. Skovsmose et al. (Eds.), University science and mathematics education. Challenges and possibilities.Google Scholar
- Winsløw, C. (to appear). Transformer la théorie en tâches: la transition du concret à l’abstrait en analyse réelle. In A. Rouchier (Ed.), Actes de la XIIIème école d’été en didactique des mathématiques. Grenoble: La Pensée Sauvage.Google Scholar
- Winsløw, C. & Madsen, L. (to appear). The interplay between research and teaching from the perspective of mathematicians. Proceedings of the 5th congress of European research in mathematics education.Google Scholar
- Woods, D. & Fassnacht, C. (2007). Transana-MU v2.12. http://www.transana.org. Madison, WI: The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System.