Numerical Modeling of an Injection-Seeded Terahertz-Wave Parametric Generator
- 34 Downloads
We have constructed a numerical model for injection-seeded terahertz-wave parametric generators in which the pump depletion, the duration of the pump pulse, as well as the spatial modes of the pump and seed beams are taken into consideration. Compared with other models which only provide the parametric gain under the assumption of low pump depletion, our model can make the predictions on the energy as well as spatial and temporal profiles of the generated terahertz-wave. Besides, the appropriate value of nonlinear coefficient of MgO:LiNbO3 in terahertz regime is difficult to find in the published works. To solve this problem, Miller’s rule is applied for the wavelength scaling of the nonlinear coefficient during calculation. We present a detailed description of the model and show that its predictions agree well with the reported experimental results. The presented model allows the performance to be estimated when designing an injection-seeded terahertz-wave parametric generator.
KeywordsParametric terahertz source Terahertz generation Nonlinear optics
This work is financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (11804320).
- 6.H. Minamide, S. I. Hayashi, K. Nawata, T. Taira, J. Shikata, and K. Kawase, Kilowatt-peak terahertz-wave generation and sub-femtojoule terahertz-wave pulse detection based on nonlinear optical wavelength-conversion at room temperature, J. Infrared Millim. Terahertz Waves 35 (2014), 25–37.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.M. Kato, S. R. Tripathi, K. Murate, K. Imayama, and K. Kawase, Non-destructive drug inspection in covering materials using a terahertz spectral imaging system with injection-seeded terahertz parametric generation and detection, Opt. Express 24 (2016), 6425–6432.Google Scholar
- 11.S. S. Sussman, Tunable light scattering from transverse optical modes in lithium niobate, M. L. Report, Vol. 1851, Stanford University, CA Microwave Laboratory, 1970.Google Scholar
- 14.Y. Takida, J. Shikata, K. Nawata, Y. Tokizane, Z. Han, M. Koyama, T. Notake, S. Hayashi, and H. Minamide, Terahertz-wave parametric gain of stimulated polariton scattering, Phys. Rev. A 93 (2016), 043836.Google Scholar
- 16.J. Shikata, K. Kawase, K. Karino, T. Taniuchi, and H. Ito, Tunable Terahertz-wave parametric oscillators using LiNbO 3and MgO:LiNbO 3crystals, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. 48 (2000), 653–661.Google Scholar
- 22.S. Hayashi, K. Nawata, T. Taira, J. Shikata, K. Kawase, and H. Minamide, Ultrabright continuously tunable terahertz-wave generation at room temperature, Sci. Rep. 4 (2014), 5045.Google Scholar