Accurate Measurement of Absolute Terahertz Power Using Broadband Calorimeter
- 95 Downloads
This paper presents a highly sensitive terahertz (THz) calorimeter developed using a magnetically loaded epoxy as a broadband absorber. The reflection loss of the absorber, which has a pyramidally textured surface, is less than 0.04, as determined using a THz time-domain spectrometer and a vector network analyzer. The THz calorimeter successfully enabled the measurement of the absolute THz power from a photomixer at microwatt levels at room temperature. The measurement uncertainties at a 95% confidence level were 6.2% for 13 μW at 300 GHz and 5.6% for 1.5 μW at 1 THz, respectively. Details of the evaluation and uncertainty analyses are also presented.
KeywordsTerahertz power Calorimeter Broadband absorber Uncertainty
The authors would like to thank Y. Kato and M. Horibe of the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology for their support in the VNA measurements.
This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI (Grant Number JP16K06403).
- 5.A. Steiger, R. Müller, A. Remesal Oliva, Y. Deng, Q. Sun, M. White, J. Lehman, IEEE Trans. Terahertz Sci. Technol. 6(5), 664–669 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.ECCOSORB® MF, Lossy, Magnetically Loaded, Machinable Stock (Emerson & Cuming Microwave Products, Randolph, MA), http://www.eccosorb.com/Collateral/Documents/English-US/MF.pdf#search=%27eccosorb+MF%27. Accessed 9 January 2018
- 10.ECCOSORB® MF-117 used in Waveguide Termination for 84–116 GHz Receiver Development Program (Emerson & Cuming Microwave Products, Randolph, MA), http://www.eccosorb.com/Collateral/Documents/English-US/mf-117-alma.pdf. Accessed 9 January 2018
- 11.H. Iida, M. Kinoshita, Proc. 42nd Int. Conf. Infrared Millim. Terahertz Waves, RD.50 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.K.S. Cole, R.H. Cole, J. Chem. Phys. 9, 341–351 (1941)Google Scholar
- 17.Evaluation of measurement data — Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement, 1st ed., Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (JCGM), document JCGM 100:2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 21.J. Säily, A.V. Räisänen, Helsinki University of Technology Radio Laboratory Publications, Report S 258 (2003)Google Scholar
- 22.K. Amemiya, T. Inoue, D. Fukuda, S. Mukai, T. Numata, Proc. 10th Int. Conf. New Developments and Applications in Optical Radiometry, MO_P_04 (2008)Google Scholar
- 23.M. Kinoshita, H. Iida, K. Amemiya, Y. Shimada, Proc. 39th Int. Conf. Infrared Millim. Terahertz Waves, M5-P7.1 (2014)Google Scholar
- 24.H. Iida, M. Kinoshita, K. Amemiya, Y. Shimada, Proc. 40th Int. Conf. Infrared Millim. Terahertz Waves, M3A-4 (2015)Google Scholar