Cusp Guns for Helical-Waveguide Gyro-TWTs of a High-Gain High-Power W-Band Amplifier Cascade
- 126 Downloads
The evaluation, design, and simulations of two different electron guns generating the beams for W-band second cyclotron harmonic gyro-TWTs forming a high-gain powerful amplifier cascade are presented. The optimum configurations of the systems creating nearly axis-encircling electron beams having velocity pitch-factor up to 1.5, voltage/current of 40 kV/0.5 A, and 100 kV/13 A with acceptable velocity spreads have been found and are presented.
KeywordsVacuum electron device Gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier Electron-optics Axis-encircling electron beams Cusp guns Large-orbit gyrotrons
The work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation under Project # 16-19-10332.
- 1.Gaponov-Grekhov, A.V., Granatstein, V.L., Application of high-power microwaves, (Artech House, Boston, London, 1994).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Nusinovich, Introduction to the physics of gyrotrons. (The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London, 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Samsonov, S.V., Bogdashov, A.A., Denisov, et al., IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, 64, 1297 (2017).Google Scholar
- 6.S.V. Samsonov, A.A. Bogdashov, G.G. Denisov, et al., W-band Helical-Waveguide Gyro-TWTs Yielding High Gain and High Output Power: Design and Simulations, (18th Int. Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC 2017), April 2017, London, UK).Google Scholar
- 7.S.V Mishakin,., S.V. Samsonov, Thermal analysis of gyro-amplifiers with helically corrugated waveguides, EPJ Web of Conferences, 141, 04040 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/201714904040
- 8.M.J. Rhee, W.W. Destler. Phys. Fluids., 17, 1574 (1974).Google Scholar
- 15.V.L. Bratman, Yu.K. Kalynov, V.N. Manuilov PRL, 102, 245101, (2009).Google Scholar
- 24.V.K. Lygin, V.N. Manuilov, Sh.E. Tsimring “Effective code for numerical simulation of the helical relativistic electron beam”, Proceedings of the 11-th International Conference on High Power Particle Beams, Prague, Czech Republic, June 10–14, 1996, vol.1, pp.385–388.Google Scholar
- 25.CST Particle Studio Overview. https://www.cst.com/Products/CSTPS Accessed 5 December 2017: