Simultaneous Stabilization of Gyrotron Frequency and Power by PID Double Feedback Control on the Acceleration and Anode Voltages
In this paper, we present the results of simultaneous stabilization of both the frequency and the output power by a double PID feedback control on the acceleration and anode voltages in the 460-GHz gyrotron FU CW GVI, also known as “Gyrotron FU CW GO-1” (according to the nomenclature adopted at Osaka University). The approach used in the experiments is based on the modulation of the cyclotron frequency and the pitch factor (velocity ratio) of the electron beam by varying the acceleration and the anode voltages, respectively. In a long-term experiment, the frequency and power stabilities were made to be better than ±10−6 and ±1%, respectively.
KeywordsGyrotron Second harmonic Power and frequency stabilization DNP-NMR spectroscopy Sub-THz radiation
This work was supported partially by Grants in Aids from Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) and was performed at Institute of Protein Research, Osaka University of NMR Platform supported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Japan.
- 3.T. Yamazaki, A. Miyazaki, T. Suehara, T. Namba, S. Asai, T. Kobayashi, H. Saito, I. Ogawa, T. Idehara, and S. Sabchevski Direct Observation of the Hyperfine Transition of Ground-State Positronium, PRL 108, 253401 (2012).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Miyazaki, T. Yamazaki, T. Suehara, T. Namba, S. Asai, T. Kobayashi, H. Saito, T. Idehara, I. Ogawa, Y. Tatematsu, The Direct Spectroscopy of Positronium Hyperfine Structure Using a Sub-THz Gyrotron, Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, 2014, Volume 35, Issue 1, pp 91–100.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.E. M. Khutoryan, T. Idehara, A. N. Kuleshov, K. Ueda Gyrotron Output Power Stabilization by PID Feedback Control of Heater Current and Anode Voltage, Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 35, no. (2014) 1018–1029.Google Scholar
- 6.E. M. Khutoryan, T. Idehara, A. N. Kuleshov, Y. Tatematsu, Y. Yamaguchi, Y. Matsuki, T. Fujiwara Stabilization of Gyrotron Frequency by PID Feedback Control on the Acceleration Voltage, Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 36, no. 12 (2015) 1157–1163.Google Scholar
- 8.M.I. Petelin and A.S. Sedov, Terahertz Science and Technology, 2, 102 (2009).Google Scholar
- 9.Sh. Tsimring, Electron Beams and Microwave Vacuum Electronics, Wiley, Hoboken, (2007).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Fernandez, M. Glyavin, R. Martin et al. Some opportunities to control and stabilize frequency of gyrotrons // Proc. of 4th Int. Conf. IVEC, Seoul, 2003, p. 172.Google Scholar
- 11.Beringer M H Design studies towards a 4 MW 170 GHz coaxial cavity gyrotron, PhD thesis (Sci. Publ. Karlsruhe Inst. of Technol. Karlsruhe), 2011.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Idehara, M. Pereyaslavets, N. Nishida, K. Yoshida and I. Ogawa Frequency modulation in a submillimeter-wave gyrotron, Phys. Rev. Lett., 81, 1973–1976 (1998).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Araki, PID control, Control systems, robotics and automation - Vol. II - PID Control, 2010.Google Scholar
- 18.I. Ogawa, T. Idehara, T. Okada, S. Maeda, Y. Iwata, R. Pavlichenko, S. Mitsudo, D. Wagner and M. Thumm High Quality Operation of a Submillimeter Wave Gyrotron for Plasma Diagnostics Application. J. Plasma Fusion Res. SERIES, Vol.5 (2002) 205–209.Google Scholar