Focus and Alignment Tolerance in a Photoconductive Terahertz Source
- 694 Downloads
Robust coupling between a pulsed laser beam and a photoelectric circuit is an important issue in the development of miniaturized, integrated, and embedded terahertz instrumentation. Here, we present a study of the effect of varying the focus and alignment parameters of an excitation laser pulse on the emission characteristics of a standard Hertzian-dipole type terahertz photoelectric source. The objective is to quantify the tolerance of a terahertz time-domain spectroscopy system, and we study the variation of peak amplitude, waveform, phase, and energy distribution as a function of excitation position and defocus. We find that a terahertz source can be made relatively tolerant to variations in focus, alignment, and details of the geometry of the photoelectric system, providing a window for a more robust field operation.
KeywordsPhotoconductive switch Terahertz imaging Terahertz source Terahertz spectroscopy
This work was supported by grants PAPIIT IN104513 and IG100615 from Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
- 2.D. Grischkowsky, S. Keiding, M. Van Exter, and Ch. Fattinger, “Far-infrared time- domain spectroscopy with terahertz beams of dielectrics and semiconductors”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 7, 2006–2015 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Kersting, et al., “Terahertz near-field microscopy”, Advances in Solid State Physics, R. Haug, Editor. 2008, Springer-Verlag Berlin: Berlin. p. 203–222Google Scholar
- 9.Fumiaki Miyamaru, Yu Saito, Kohji Yamamoto, Takashi Furuya, Seizi Nishizawa, and Masahiko Tani, “Dependence of emission of terahertz radiation on geometrical parameters of dipole photoconductive antennas”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 211104 (2010).Google Scholar
- 12.N. Khiabani, Y. Huang, and Yao-chun Shen, “Discussions on the main parameters of THz photoconductive antennas as emitters”, Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (2011).Google Scholar
- 13.Ian S. Gregory, Colin Baker, William R. Tribe, Ian V. Bradley, Michael J. Evans, Edmund H. Linfield, A. Giles Davies, and Mohamed Missous, “Optimization of Photomixers and Antennas for Continuous-Wave Terahertz Emission”, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 41, 717, (2005).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Uhd Jepsen, R. H. Jacobsen, and S. R. Keiding, “Generation and detection of terahertz pulses from biased semiconductor antennas”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B/Vol. 13, 2424 (1996).Google Scholar
- 17.Z. Piao, M. Tani and K. Sakai, “Carrier dynamics and terahertz radiation in photoconductive antennas”, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 39 (2000) pp. 96–100.Google Scholar