W-Band Planar Wide-Angle Scanning Antenna Architecture
This paper proposes a hybrid scanning antenna architecture for applications in mm-wave intelligent mobile sensing and communications. We experimentally demonstrate suitable W-band leaky-wave antenna prototypes in substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology. Three SIW antennas have been designed that within a 6.5 % fractional bandwidth provide beam scanning over three adjacent angular sectors. Prototypes have been fabricated and their performance has been experimentally evaluated. The measured radiation patterns have shown three frequency scanning beams covering angles from 11 to 56 degrees with beamwidth of 10 ± 3 degrees within the 88-94 GHz frequency range.
KeywordsMillimeter-wave mobile sensing and communications W-band antennas Leaky wave antennas
The work was partly supported by the FP7 GigaRadio Marie Curie project (IAPP/2008/230652) and the Leverhulme Trust Research Project Grant F/00 203/U-Phase Conjugate Wireless Communication. The authors appreciate assistance of Mr Jim Francey of OptiPrint AG with manufacturing of the antennas and advice on TaclamPLUS material properties by Mr Manfred Huschka of Taconic ADD.
- 2.Groll HP, Detlefsen J (1996) History of automotive anticollision radars and final experimental results of a mm-wave car radar developed on the Technical University of Munich. Proceedings of International Radar Conference. Publishing House of Electron. Ind, Beijing, pp 13–17Google Scholar
- 4.Pollard BD, Sadowy G, Moller D, Rodriguez E (2003) A millimeter-wave phased array radar for hazard detection and avoidance on planetary landers. IEEE Aerospace Conference Proceedings. IEEE, Pasadena, pp 1115–1122Google Scholar
- 5.Van Caekenberghe K, Brakora KF, Sarabandi K (2007) A 94 GHz OFDM Frequency Scanning Radar for Autonomous Landing Guidance. IEEE Radar Conference Proceedings. IEEE, Boston, pp 248–253Google Scholar
- 7.Appleby R, Anderton RN, Thomson NH, Jack JW (2004) The design of a real-time 94-GHz passive millimetre-wave imager for helicopter operations. In: Carapezza EM, Driggers RG, Kamerman GW, et al (eds) Proceedings of the SPIE. London, pp 38–46Google Scholar
- 18.Gomez-Tornero JL (2011) Unusual tapering of leaky-wave radiators and their applications. Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP). Rome, pp 821–824Google Scholar
- 21.Ando M, Zhang M, Lee J, Hirokawa J (2010) Design and Fabrication of Millimeter Wave Slotted Waveguide Arrays. Proceedings of the 4h European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP). Rome, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 27.Bozzi M, Perregrini L, Wu K, Arcioni P (2009) Current and Future Research Trends in Substrate Integrated Waveguide Technology. Radioengineering 18(2):201–209Google Scholar
- 29.Pozar DM (1997) Microwave Engineering, 2nd ed. John Wiley & SonsGoogle Scholar
- 32.Martinez-Ros A, Gomez-Tornero JL, Quesada-Pereira F, Alvarez-Melcon A (2011) Transverse resonance analysis of a planar leaky wave antenna with flexible control of the complex propagation constant. IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI). IEEE, pp 1289–1292Google Scholar
- 34.Patrovsky A, Daigle M (2007) Millimeter-wave wideband transition from CPW to substrate integrated waveguide on electrically thick high-permittivity substrates. 2007 European Microwave Conference. IEEE, pp 138–141Google Scholar
- 37.Balanis CA (1997) Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd ed. 960Google Scholar