Using Terahertz Spectroscopy for Observing the Kinetics of Recrystallisation of Polybutene-1
- 249 Downloads
This paper deals with the use of terahertz spectroscopy for observing the kinetics of recrystallisation of polybutene-1 as a suitable material for manufacturing optical elements in the terahertz region of the electromagnetic spectrum. These materials were studied from the perspective of their optical properties – the refractive index and the absorption coefficient. The time dependencies of the refractive index and the absorption coefficient were measured, because polybutene-1 is a material which recrystallises for a number of days from the date of its manufacture. The coefficients describing the recrystallisation process were calculated from the fitting function derived from the Avrami equation. In this paper, the measurement results are presented and the possibilities of the use of the studied materials are discussed.
KeywordsTerahertz spectroscopy Polybutene-1 Refractive index Absorption coefficient Recrystallisation
This research was supported by the European Regional Development Fund under the project CEBIA-Tech No. CZ.1.05/2.1.00/03.0089 and the Internal Grant Agency of Tomas Bata University in Zlin, under the project No. IGA/FAI/2012002.
- 4.Y.-S. Lee, Principles of Terahertz Science and Technology, (Springer, Oregon, 2009).Google Scholar
- 5.D. W. Van Krevelen, Properties of Polymers, (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990).Google Scholar
- 6.L. C. Sawyer et al., Polymer Microscopy, (Springer, New York, 2008).Google Scholar
- 8.Alexander Podzorov et al., “Low-loss polymers for terahertz applications” Applied optics 47, 3254-3257 (2008).Google Scholar
- 11.D. R. Panse, P.J. Phillips, Polymer Data Handbook, (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Hadinata, Flow-induced crystallization of polybutene-1 and effect of molecular parameters, (RMIT University, Melbourne, 2007).Google Scholar
- 13.René Androsch et al., “Mesophases in polyethylene, polypropylene, and poly(1-butene)” Polymer 51, 4639-4662 (2010).Google Scholar
- 14.V. Křesálek, T. Gavenda, “Using the terahertz spectroscopy for observing the kinetics of recrystallisation of polybutenes”, Proceedings of 3rd EOS Topical Meeting on Terahertz Science & Technology, Prague, ISBN 978-3-9815022-1-3 (2012).Google Scholar
- 15.TPS spectra 3000 general information, Teraview Ltd., Cambridge, 2011.Google Scholar
- 17.Yun-Sik Jin et al., Terahertz Dielectric Properties of Polymers, J. Korean Phys. Soc., 2006, 49, 513-517.Google Scholar