Towards Competence-Based Learning Design Driven Remote and Virtual Labs Recommendations for Science Teachers
Remote and virtual labs (RVLs) are widely used by science education teachers in their daily teaching practice. This has led to a plethora of RVLs that are offered with or without cost. In order to organise them and facilitate their search and findability, several RVL web-based repositories have been operated. As a result, a key open challenge is to design and implement recommender systems that support science teachers in finding and selecting appropriate RVLs based on core pedagogical elements of their learning designs and their own information and communication technology (ICT)-supported teaching competence profiles. In response to this challenge, we propose a recommender system for supporting learning design driven RVLs recommendations taking into consideration teachers’ profiling elements related to the ICT-supported teaching competences for using RVLs. To achieve this, we propose an instantiation of the UNESCO ICT competency framework for teachers for the context of using RVL and capitalise on our previously proposed metadata schema for describing RVLs, which includes core elements of a learning design and teachers’ required ICT-supported teaching competences. Our evaluation results based on a user study, highlight the high level of ranking accuracy of our proposed recommender system and support its capacity to facilitate science teachers in selecting appropriate RVLs.
KeywordsVirtual lab Remote lab Recommender system Teacher competence Learning design Web repository
- Conole, G., & Fill, K. (2005). A learning design toolkit to create pedagogically effective learning activities. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, Special Issue Portable Learning, 8, 1–16.Google Scholar
- Dikke, D., Tsourlidaki, E., Zervas, P., Cao, Y., Faltin, N., Sotiriou, S., et al. (2014). GoLabz: Towards a federation of online labs for inquiry-based science education at school. In Proceedings of the 7th annual international conference on education and new learning technologies (EDULEARN14), July 2014, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 3238–3248.Google Scholar
- Govaerts, S., Cao, Y., Vozniuk, A., Holzer, A., Zutin, D.G., Ruiz, E.S.C., et al. (2013). Towards an online lab portal for inquiry-based stem learning at school. In J. Wang & R. Lau (Eds.), Advances in web-based learning—ICWL 2013 (pp. 244–253). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Gravier, C., Fayolle, J., Bayard, B., Ates, M., & Lardon, J. (2008). State of the art about remote laboratories paradigms—Foundations of ongoing mutations. International Journal of Online Engineering, 4(1), 19–25.Google Scholar
- Koper, R. (2006). Current research in learning design. Educational Technology & Society, 9(1), 13–22.Google Scholar
- Lowe, D., Murray, S., Weber, L., de la Villefromoy, M., Johnston, A., Lindsay, E., et al. (2009). LabShare: Towards a national approach to laboratory sharing. In Proceedings of the 20th Australasian Association for Engineering Education conference, December 2009, Adelaide, Australia, pp. 458–463.Google Scholar
- NGSS Lead States. (2013). Next generation science standards: For states, by states. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press (online). http://tinyurl.com/n47qx8s. Accessed 14 Apr 2015.
- Ricci, F., Rokack, L., Shapira, B., & Kantor, P. B. (Eds.). (2011). Recommender systems handbook. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Sergis, S., Zervas, P., & Sampson, D. G. (2014). ICT competence-based learning object recommendations for teachers. In Proceedings of the IADIS 11th international conference on cognition and exloratory learning in digital age (CELDA2014), October 2014, Porto, Portugal, pp. 150–157.Google Scholar
- Tsourlidaki, E., Zervas, P., Sotiriou, S. & Sampson, D. G. (2015). An investigation with European school teachers on how to characterize virtual and remote labs. In Proceedings of the IEEE 6th international conference on engineering education towards excellence and innovation 2015 (EDUCON2015), March 2015, Tallinn, Estonia.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2011). ICT competency framework for teachers (online). http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002134/213475e.pdf. Accessed 14 Apr 2015.
- Zervas, P., Fyskilis S., & Sampson, D. G. (2014a). ASK4LABS: A Web-based repository for supporting learning design driven remote and virtual labs recommendations. In Proceedings of the IADIS 11th international conference on cognition and exploratory learning in digital age (CELDA2014), October 2014, Porto, Portugal, pp. 172–179.Google Scholar
- Zervas, P., Kalamatianos, A., Tsourlidaki, E., Sotiriou, S., & Sampson, D. G. (2014b). A methodology for organizing virtual and remote laboratories. In D. Sampson, D. Ifenthaler, J. M. Spector, & P. Isaias (Eds.), Digital systems for open access to formal and informal learning (pp. 235–255). USA: Springer.Google Scholar