Reference pricing in the presence of pseudo-generics
This paper looks at producers of branded and generic pharmaceuticals’ pricing decisions under two possible reimbursement schemes—reference pricing and fixed percentage reimbursement—and under two settings—one where the branded producer only sells the (off-patent) branded pharmaceutical and another where, in addition, it may also sell its own generic version, a so called pseudo-generic. We find different pricing responses from firms under the two reimbursement schemes and across the two settings analysed (with or without a pseudo-generic), and show that pseudo-generics may have an anticompetitive effect. Our results have important policy implications such as showing that the presence of pseudo-generics reinforces reference pricing’s advantages over alternative reimbursement schemes.
KeywordsPseudo-generics Reference pricing Reimbursement schemes
JEL ClassificationI18 L13
- Aitken, M., Berndt, E., Bosworth, B., Cockburn, I., Frank, R., Kleinrock, M., & Shapiro, B. (2013). The regulation of prescription drug competition and market responses: Patterns in prices and sales following loss of exclusivity. NBER Working Paper 19487.Google Scholar
- Appelt, S. (2010). Authorized Generic Entry prior to Patent Expiry: Reassessing Incentives for Independent Generic Entry. Discussion Paper No. 2010–23, University of Munich.Google Scholar
- Berndt, E., Mortimer, R., & Parece., A. (2007b). Do Authorized Generic Drugs Deter Paragraph IV Certifications? Recent Evidence, Working Paper. Cambridge: Analysis Group.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009). Pharmaceutical Sector Inquiry - final report, retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/pharmaceuticals/inquiry/.
- Grootendorst, P. (2007). Effects of ‘authorized generics’ on Canadian drug prices, SEDAP Research Paper no. 201, McMaster University.Google Scholar
- Hollis, A., & Liang, B. (2007). An assessment of the effect of authorized generics on consumer prices. Journal of Biolaw & Business, 10(1), 10–18.Google Scholar
- Löfgren, H. (2009). Generic medicines in Australia: Business dynamics and recent policy reform. Southern Med Review, 2(2), 24–28.Google Scholar
- Mossialos, E., Mrazek, M., & Walley, T. (2004). Regulating pharmaceuticals in Europe: Striving for efficiency, equity, and quality. Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar