Spatial and seasonal variation in diffuse attenuation coefficients of downward irradiance at Ibitinga Reservoir, São Paulo, Brazil
- 305 Downloads
Estimates of light availability in the water column require accurate quantification at different depths of the diffuse attenuation coefficient (K d). This study examines spatial and seasonal variability of K d derived variables [euphotic zone depth (Z eu), attenuation depth (Z att)], their relationship with optically active constituents (OACs), and their impact on the underwater light field at Ibitinga Reservoir (São Paulo, Brazil). Radiometric data were acquired using profiling spectroradiometers operating from 320 to 950 nm in four campaigns (February–July 2014) concurrently with OAC water samplings. Minimum and maximum values of K dPAR were, respectively, 0.99 and 3.45 m−1 for average ranges of OACs varying from 14.4 to 16.2 mg/l for dissolved total carbon, 11.5–100.5 μg/l for chlorophyll-a, 1.8–14.5 mg/l for total suspended solid, and from 0.73 to 1.71 m−1 for absorption coefficient of colored dissolved organic matter (CDOM) in 440 nm (a CDOM440). CDOM removed blue wavelengths in the first meter of the water column throughout seasons, while green wavelengths were predominant with increasing depth. Furthermore, this study demonstrated that K d variability is mainly influenced by the presence of phytoplankton and CDOM in the reservoir, and reveals that the seasonal variability of K d was much larger than spatial variability.
KeywordsDiffuse attenuation coefficient Tropical reservoir Optically active constituents Underwater light field
Carolline Tressmann Cairo thanks CNPq for the Master’s Degree Fellowship and INPE Postgraduate Program. The authors thank FAPESP (Project 2008/56252-0) and CAPES Foundation/PROEX for the financial support of data acquisition, coworkers (Renato Ferreira, Lino Sander de Carvalho, Daniel Schaffer, Joaquim Antônio Dionísio Leão, Leandro Coutinho, Conrrado Rudorff, Carlos Araujo) for their support in field campaigns and Dr. Felipe Lobo for his contribution in this paper.
- APHA, 1985. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. Byrd Prepress Springfield, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Barbosa, C. C. F., R. M. P. Ferreira, C. Araujo & E. M. L. M Novo, 2014. Bio-optical characterization of two brazilian hydroelectric reservoirs as support to understand the carbon budget in hydroelectric reservoirs. In: Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2014 IEEE International, Quebec, Canada: 898-901.Google Scholar
- Barbosa, C. C. F., E. M. L. M. Novo, R. M. P. Ferreira, L. A. S. Carvalho, C. T. Cairo, F. Lopes, J. L. Stech & E. Alcantara, 2015. Brazilian inland water bio-optical dataset to support carbon budget studies in reservoirs as well as anthropogenic impacts in Amazon floodplain lakes: preliminary results. ISPRS: International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences XL-7/W3: 1439–1446.Google Scholar
- Bricaud, A., A. Morel, M. Babin, K. Allali & H. Claustre, 1998. Variations of light absorption by suspended particles with chlorophyll a concentration in oceanic (case 1) waters: analysis and implications for bio-optical models. Journal of Geophysical Research 103(C13): 31033–31044.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Calijuri, M. C., 1999. The phytoplankton community in a tropical reservoir (Barra Bonita, SP). Free-docency Thesis, School of Engineering at São Carlos, University of São Paulo, São Carlos.Google Scholar
- CBH-TJ-Tietê-Jacaré Hydrographic Basin Committee, 2013. Situation Report of Water Resources 2013 – Base Year 2012. UGRHI 13: Tietê-Jacaré Hydrographic Basin, Araraquara [available on internet at http://www.sigrh.sp.gov.br/public/uploads/documents/7476/relatorio-de-situacao-2013-cbh-tj.pdf].
- Cooke, G. D., E. B. Welch, S. A. Peterson & S. A. Nichols, 2005. Restoration and Management of Lakes and Reservoirs, 3rd ed. CRC Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Ferreira, R. M. P., 2014. Optical and dissolved organic carbon characterization in Três Marias/MG reservoir. MSc Thesis (MSc in Remote Sensing), Brazilian Institute for Space Research, São José dos Campos.Google Scholar
- Gallegos, C. L., P. J. Werdell & C. R. McClain, 2011. Long-term changes in light scattering in Chesapeake Bay inferred from Secchi depth, light attenuation, and remote sensing measurements. Journal of Geophysical Research 11: 1–19.Google Scholar
- IPT-Institute for Technological Research, 1981. Geomorphological map of São Paulo State. Monografias (5) [available on internet at http://confins.revues.org/docannexe/image/6168/img-15.jpg].
- Kirk, J. T. O., 2011. Light and Photosynthesis in Aquatic Ecosystems, 3rd ed. Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Londe, L. R., 2008. Phytoplankton spectral behaviour in a Brazilian eutrophic reservoir – Ibitinga (SP). PhD Thesis (PhD in Remote Sensing), Brazilian Institute for Space Research, São José dos Campos.Google Scholar
- Luzia, A. P., 2009. Organizational structure of phytoplankton in lotic and lentic systems of the Tietê/Jacaré basin (UGRHI-Tietê-Jacare) in relation to water quality and trophic state. PhD Thesis (PhD in Biological Sciences), Postgraduate Program in Ecology and Natural Resources, University of São Paulo, São Carlos.Google Scholar
- Maiolini, B., L. Silveri & V. Lencioni, 2007. Hydroelectric power generation and disruption of the natural stream flow: effects on the zoobenthic community. Studi Trentini di Scienze Naturali, Acta Biologia 83: 21–26.Google Scholar
- Margalef, R., 1975. Typology of reservoirs. Verhandlungen Internationale Vereinigung Limnologie 19: 1841–1848.Google Scholar
- Miranda, M. J., H. S. Pinto, J. Z. Júnior, R. M. Fagundes, D. B. Fonsechi, L. Calve & G. Q. Pellegrino, 2014. Climate of the Municipalities of São Paulo State – The Köppen Climate Classification for the São Paulo State. Centre of Meteorological and Climate Research Applied to Agriculture (CEPAGRI). UNICAMP Meteorology [available on internet at http://www.cpa.unicamp.br/outras-informacoes/clima-dos-municipios-paulistas.html].
- Mishra, D. R., S. Narumalani, D. Rundquist & M. Lawson, 2005. Characterizing the vertical diffuse attenuation coefficient for downwelling irradiance in coastal waters: implications for water penetration by high resolution satellite data. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 60: 48–64.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mobley, C. D., 1994. Light and Water: Radiative Transfer in Natural Waters. Academic, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Mueller, J. L., 2000. In-water radiometric profile measurements and data analysis protocols. In Fargion, G. S. & J. L. Mueller (eds), Ocean Optics Protocols for Satellite Ocean Color Sensor Validation, Revision 2, NASA/TM-2000-209966. Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt: 87–97.Google Scholar
- Novelli, A. S., 1996. Diagnosis of surface water resources of the hydrographic basin of Jacaré-Guaçu River. MSc Thesis (MSc in Environmental Engineering Science), School of Engineering at São Carlos, University of São Paulo, São Carlos.Google Scholar
- Novo, E. M. L. M., L. R. Londe, C. Barbosa, C. A. S. Araujo & C. D. Rennó, 2013. Proposal for a remote sensing trophic state index based upon Thematic Mapper/Landsat images. Revista Ambiente and Água 8(3): 65–82.Google Scholar
- Nush, E. A., 1980. Comparison of different methods for chlorophyll and phaeopigment determination. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 14: 14–39.Google Scholar
- Peixoto, C. A. B., 2010. Geodiversity of São Paulo State. Geology Program of Brazil, Levantamento Survey of Geodiversity. Ministry of Mines and Energy of Brazil Department of Geology, Mining and Mineral Processing, CPRM, São Paulo [available on internet at <http://www.cprm.gov.br/publique/media/Geodiversidade_SP.pdf].
- Pereira, P. S., B. V. Veiga & M. Dziedzic, 2010. Evaluation of phosphorus and nitrogen influence on eutrophication process of large reservoirs. Case study: Foz do Areia Hydroelectric Power Station. MSc Thesis, Positivo University, Curitiba.Google Scholar
- Ross, J. L. S. & I. C. Moroz, 1996. Mapa geomorfológico do estado de São Paulo. Revista do Departamento de Geografia da FFLCH/USP 10: 41–59.Google Scholar
- Ruban, V. & D. Demare, 1998. Sediment phosphorus and internal phosphate flux in the hydroelectric reservoir of Bort-les-Orgues, France. In Amiard, J.C., B. Le Rouzic, B. Berthet & G. Bertru (eds), Oceans, Rivers and Lakes: Energy and Substance Transfers at Interfaces. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands: 349–359.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sarangi, R. K., P. Chauhan & S. R. Nayak, 2002. Vertical diffuse attenuation coefficient (Kd) based optical classification of IRS-P3 MOS-B satellite ocean colour data. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planetary Sciences) 111(3): 237–245.Google Scholar
- SIGRH-Integrated System of Water Resources Management of São Paulo State, 2014. Committee of Jacaré-Pepira Hydrographic Basin – Presentation [available on internet at [http://www.sigrh.sp.gov.br/cbhtj/apresentacao].
- Song, K. S., D. W. Liu, L. Li, Z. M. Wang, Y. D. Wang & G. J. Jiang, 2010. Spectral absorption properties of colored dissolved organic matter (CDOM) and total suspended matter (TSM) of inland waters. Proceedings of the International Society for Optical Engineering 7811: 78110B.Google Scholar
- Stech, J. L., I. B. T. Lima, E. M. L. M. Novo, A. T. Assireu, J. A. Lorenzzetti, J. C. Carvalho & R. R. Rosa, 2006. Telemetric monitoring system for meteorological and limnological data acquisition. Verhandlungen International en Verein Limnologie 29: 747–1750.Google Scholar
- Streher, A. S., 2013. Occurrence and removal of sunglint effects in hyperspectral and high spatial resolution images from the SpecTIR sensor. MSc Thesis (MSc in Remote Sensing), Brazilian Institute for Space Research, São José dos Campos.Google Scholar
- Tilstone, G. H., G. F. Moore, K. Sorensen, R. Doerffer, R. Rottgers, K. Ruddick, R. Pasterkamp & P. V. Jorgensen, 2002. REVAMP Protocols. European Space Agency [available on internet at http://www.brockmann-consult.de/revamp/pdfs/REVAMP_Protocols.pdf].
- Wang, M., S. Son & L. W. Harding Jr., 2009. Retrieval of diffuse attenuation coefficient in the Chesapeake Bay and turbid ocean regions for satellite ocean color applications. Journal of Geophysical Research 114: 1–15.Google Scholar
- Wetzel, R. G., 2001. Limnology: Lake and River Ecosystems, 3rd ed. Academic, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y. L., B. Q. Qin, G. W. Zhu, G. Gao, L. C. Luo & W. M. Chen, 2006. Effect of sediment resuspension on underwater light field in shallow lakes in the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River: a case study in Longgan Lake and Taihu Lake. Science in China: Series D Earth Sciences 49: 114–125.CrossRefGoogle Scholar