Response to the opinion paper by Ainley et al.
We respond to comments made in the opinion paper by Ainley et al. (Hydrobiologia, 10.1007/s10750-015-2607-4, 2016) regarding our recent publication on the biology, ecology and life history of Antarctic toothfish (Dissostichus mawsoni) in the Ross Sea region. We focus in particular on the spatial and temporal extent of data collected from the fishery; results of research to date on changes in abundance and size of Antarctic toothfish at McMurdo Sound; and the subject of neutral buoyancy and inferences about vertical distribution. We conclude by re-iterating the need for well-designed, standardised research programmes to address remaining uncertainties in its life history.
KeywordsAntarctic toothfish Ross Sea Fishery-dependent data Neutral buoyancy Vertical distribution
- Hanchet, S. M., G. J. Rickard, J. M. Fenaughty, A. Dunn & M. J. Williams, 2008. A hypothetical life cycle for Antarctic toothfish Dissostichus mawsoni in Antarctic waters of CCAMLR Statistical Area 88. CCAMLR Science 15: 35–54.Google Scholar
- Hanchet, S. M., S. Mormede & A. Dunn, 2010. Distribution and relative abundance of Antarctic toothfish (Dissostichus mawsoni) on the Ross Sea shelf. CCAMLR Science 17: 33–51.Google Scholar
- Horn, P. L., C. P. Sutton & A. L. de Vries, 2003. Evidence to support the annual formation of growth zones in otoliths of Antarctic toothfish (Dissostichus mawsoni). CCAMLR Science 10: 125–138.Google Scholar
- Mormede, S., A. Dunn & S. M. Hanchet, 2014. Assessment models for Antarctic toothfish (Dissostichus mawsoni) in the Ross Sea for the years 1997/98 to 2012/13. CCAMLR Science 21: 39–62.Google Scholar
- Near, T. J., S. E. Russo, C. D. Jones & A. L. DeVries, 2003. Ontogenetic shift in buoyancy and habitat in the Antarctic toothfish, Dissostichus mawsoni (Perciformes: Nototheniidae). Polar Biology 26: 124–128.Google Scholar
- Parker, S. J. & P. J. Grimes, 2010. Length and age at spawning of Antarctic toothfish (Dissostichus mawsoni) in the Ross Sea. CCAMLR Science 17: 53–73.Google Scholar
- Parker, S. J., D. N. Webber & R. Arnold, 2014. Deployment and Recovery of an Archival Tag on an Antarctic Toothfish in the Ross Sea. Document SC-CAMLR-WG-FSA-14/64. CCAMLR, Hobart, TAS.Google Scholar
- Roberts, J., J. C. Xavier & D. J. Agnew, 2011. The diet of toothfish species Dissostichus eleginoides and Dissostichus mawsoni with overlapping distributions. Journal of FishBiology 79: 138–154.Google Scholar
- SC-CAMLR-XXXIV, 2015. Report of the 34th Meeting of the Scientific Committee for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources. Annex 7, Fishery Report 2015: Exploratory Fishery for Dissostichus spp. in Subarea 88.1.Google Scholar