Use of dispersing springboards to reduce near-bottom velocity in a toe basin
- First Online:
- 33 Downloads
It is noted that the load that develops under high near-bottom velocities should be consider when analyzing the loads on a toe-basin slab in the case of high-head hydroprojects. They may not only create significant forces against the surface of the slabs, but also give rise to the appearance of suspending forces, which act on blocks of the toe—basin slab of the apron. To reduce near-bottom velocities, it is recommended that a group of dispersing springboards with a double-curved surface be incorporated in the terminal section of the spillway. Numerical modeling of the operating regime of the basin indicates that a submerged hydraulic jump is formed here in the basin, while near-bottom velocities are reduced by more than a factor of two, and, consequently, a more than fourfold reduction occurs in the load.
Keywordsenergy extinguishment toe basin near-bottom velocity terminal section of spillway springboard-splitter double-curved surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. I. Efimanko and G. L. Rubinshtein, Spillway Structures at the Sayano-Shushenskaya HPP [in Russian], Izd. JSC “VNIIG im. B. E. Vedeneeva,” St. Petersburg (2008).Google Scholar
- 2.R. R. Chugaev, Water-Development Works. Part 1. Spillway Dams [in Russian], Agropromizdat (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.RF Pat. No. 2266364, A. M. Vasil’ev, A. I. Tishchenko, and S. M. Vasil’ev, “Springboard-splitter for cantilevered section of spillway, ” Byull. Izobret., No. 12 (2005).Google Scholar
- 4.G. L. Rubinshtein, “Piers-splitters for toe basin at Sayano-Shushenskaya HPP,” Izv. VNIIG im. B. E. Vedeneeva, 236, 51–58 (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.RF Pat. No. 1749362, I. S. Merkur’ev and A. A. Belyakov, “Method of extinguishing flow energy,” Byull. Izobret. No. 27 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.A. A. Tursunov, “Turbulent water flow at turns and dispersing springboards,” Izv. VNIIG im. B. E. Vedeneeva, 69, 149–175 (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.Kh. I. Zairov, “Extinguishment of kinetic energy beyond spillway dam equipped with group of dispersing lips,” Izv. Vuzov. Énergetika, No. 3 (1966).Google Scholar