The Hoede–Bakker Index Modified to the Shapley–Shubik and Holler–Packel Indices
- 67 Downloads
We present some modifications of the Hoede–Bakker index defined in a social network in which players may influence each other. Due to influences of the other actors, the final decision of a player may be different from his original inclination. The modifications presented in the paper are defined for an arbitrary probability distribution over all inclination vectors. In particular, they concern the situation in which the inclination vectors may be not equally probable. Furthermore, by assuming special probability distributions over all inclination vectors, we construct modifications of the Hoede–Bakker index that coincide with the Shapley–Shubik index and with the Holler–Packel index, respectively. We present a practical example in which the concepts in question are applied to Dutch parties, and a theoretical example in which we show how the modifications can be calculated.
KeywordsHoede–Bakker index Inclination vector Probability distribution Shapley–Shubik index Holler–Packel index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banzhaf J (1965) Weighted voting doesn’t work: a mathematical analysis. Rutgers Law Rev 19: 317–343Google Scholar
- Coleman JS (1971) Control of collectivities and the power of a collectivity to act. In: Lieberman (eds) Social choice. Gordon and Breach, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Coleman JS (1986) Individual interests and collective action: selected essays. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Holler MJ, Packel EW (1983) Power, luck and the right index. J Econ 43: 21–29Google Scholar
- Hosli M (2002) Preferences and power in the European Union. Homo Oecon 19: 311–326Google Scholar
- Morgan MJ (1976) The modelling of governmental coalition formation: a policy-based approach with interval measurement. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Michigan, USAGoogle Scholar
- Napel S, Widgrén M (2002) The power of a spatially inferior player. Homo Oecon 19: 327–343Google Scholar
- Rusinowska A (2008) On the not-preference-based Hoede–Bakker index, forthcoming. In: Petrosjan, Mazalov (eds) Game theory and applications, Vol XIII. Nova Science Publishers Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Rusinowska A, De Swart H (2006) Generalizing and modifying the Hoede–Bakker index. In: De Swart H et al (eds) Theory and applications of relational structures as knowledge instruments, No 2. Springer’s Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence LNAI 4342. Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, pp 60–88Google Scholar
- Van Deemen A (1997) Coalition formation and social choice. Kluwer Academic Publishers, BostonGoogle Scholar