Software review: the HeuristicLab framework
- 279 Downloads
HeuristicLab homepage: http://dev.heuristiclab.com
Computer scientists often find themselves debating whether they should use (and extend) an existing system or develop their own. The onerous task of learning how to operate an existing system can be a severe overhead when all one wishes is to conduct a small experiment. However, especially where extended experiments are to be conducted, in the long run, a system that is extensible, flexible, modular, and usable, can save valuable time.
It offers a plugin-based architecture (which enables users to add custom extensions without knowing the whole of the source code), a domain-independent model to represent arbitrary search algorithms, support for graphical user interfaces, and the ability to accommodate parallel algorithms.
HeuristicLab has been under development since 2002 by members of...
KeywordsEvolutionary Algorithm Graphical User Interface Graphic Processing Unit Fitness Evaluation Function Video Tutorial
- 1.ECLab Evolutionary Computation Laboratory, George Mason University: ECJ 2.0 (2010). http://cs.gmu.edu/eclab/projects/ecj/
- 2.HEAL: Heuristic and Evolutionary Algorithms Laboratory. http://heal.heuristiclab.com/
- 3.HEAL (Heuristic and Evolutionary Algorithms Laboratory): Official HeuristicLab discussion group. http://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/heuristiclab/
- 5.The Mono project website. http://www.mono-project.com
- 6.S. Wagner, Heuristic optimization software systems - modeling of heuristic optimization algorithms in the HeuristicLab software environment. Ph.D. thesis, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Wagner, G. Kronberger, A. Beham, M. Kommenda, A. Scheibenpflug, E. Pitzer, S. Vonolfen, M. Kofler, S. Winkler, V. Dorfer, M. Affenzeller, in Architecture and design of the HeuristicLab optimization environment, ed. by R. Klempous, J. Nikodem, W. Jacak, Z. Chaczko. Advanced Methods and Applications in Computational Intelligence, Topics in Intelligent Engineering and Informatics, vol 6. (Springer, New York, 2014), pp. 197–261. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-01436-4_10.