A ZZ–ZW sex chromosome system in the finless eel Dalophis imberbis (Anguilliformes, Ophichtidae)
- 149 Downloads
The karyotype of the finless eel Dalophis imberbis was investigated by conventional (C and replication banding, CMA3 fluorescence) and molecular (FISH with 45S rDNA probe) techniques. The diploid chromosome number was 2n = 46 and the karyotype consisted of four pairs of meta-submetacentric and 18 pairs of subtelo-acrocentric autosomes and a pair of sex chromosomes heteromorphic in females, composed by a large subtelocentric Z, and a medium sized acrocentric W chromosome; in males this pair was composed by two large subtelocentric ZZ chromosomes. Multiple NORs have been localized by FISH and have been found to be CMA3 positive; one of the NORs was located on the W chromosome and it was found transcriptionally active by silver staining. The Z chromosome contained distinct intercalar C-positive heterochromatin and W was almost completely heterochromatic. Our report contributes to the knowledge to the cytotaxonomy of Anguilliformes where differentiated sex chromosomes are reported in about a quarter of the species: both male and female heterogamety as well as a multiple chromosome system have been reported. Moreover, this is the first anguilliform species in which multiple NORs have been reported.
KeywordsKaryotype Chromosome banding Fish cytogenetics FISH Sex chromosomes
The authors wish to thank Prof. Ugo Laudani for helpful suggestions. This research was supported by Italian Ministry of Instruction, University and Research (MIUR) Grant No. DM219-22-12-05, National Relevant Interest Research Projects (PRIN), 2005.
- Klinkhardt M, Tesche M, Greven H (1995) Database of fish chromosomes. Westarp Wissenschaften, Magdeburg, pp 28–179Google Scholar
- Lavoué S, Miya M, Poulsen JY, Møller PR, Nishida M (2008) Monophyly, phylogenetic position and inter-familial relationships of the Alepocephaliformes (Teleostei) based on whole mitogenome sequences. Mol Phylogenet Evol. doi: 10.1016/j.ympev.2007.12.002
- Rishi S, Rishi KK, Gill PK (1999) Sex chromosomes in fishes. Ichthyology 308–320Google Scholar
- Salvadori S, Coluccia E, Cannas R, Milia A, Deiana AM (2006) Studio del cariotipo di Gymnothorax tile Ostichthyes, Anguilliformes. Biol Mar Medit 13(1):1109–1111Google Scholar
- Sumner AT (1990) Genome organization in the light of chromosome banding. In: Sumner AT (ed) Chromosome banding. London, Unwin Hyman Ltd., pp 332–348Google Scholar