Mapping of rRNA genes and telomeric sequences in Danube salmon (Hucho hucho) chromosomes using primed in situ labeling technique (PRINS)
- 170 Downloads
In the current paper we described the application of primed in situ (PRINS) labeling approach for the chromosomal mapping of repetitive DNA sequences in Danube salmon (Hucho hucho) (2n = 82, NF = 112). PRINS was successfully performed with primers enabling amplification of 5S rRNA genes (minor rDNAs), NOR building DNA sequences (major rDNAs), and telomeric sequences. Two loci of 5S rRNA were observed on distinct chromosome pairs; the minor arrays were located interstitially on the long (q) arms of two large metacentrics (chromosomes No. 3) and the large clusters of 5S rDNAs were assigned to the short (p) arms of two subtelocentric chromosomes No. 18. Major rDNA clusters were observed on the p-arms of two submeta-subtelocentric chromosomes No. 10. These chromosomal areas were built with GC-rich chromatin what was proved in the course of chromomycin A3 (CMA3) staining performed sequentially. Major and minor rDNA families were not co-localized in the Danube salmon chromosomes.The distinct hybridization signals at the ends of all the chromosomes were provided in the course of PRINS with (CCCTAA) n primer. The chromosomal localization of rRNA genes and telomeric DNA sequences was discussed in the context of Salmonidae karyotype evolution.
KeywordsChromosomes Danube salmon Hucho hucho PRINS rDNA Telomere
This study was supported by the project No. 0804.0206 financed by University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland.
- Allendorf FW, Thorgaard GH (1984) Tetraploidy and the evolution of salmonid fishes. In: Turner BJ (ed.) Evolutionary Genetics of Fishes. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 1–54Google Scholar
- Phillips RB, Ráb P (2001) Chromosome evolution in the Salmonidae (Pisces): an update. Biol Rev (Cambridge) 76:1–25Google Scholar
- Ráb P, Liehman P (1982) Chromosome Study of the Danube Salmon Hucho hucho (Pisces, Salmonidae). Folia Zool 31:181–190Google Scholar
- Ráb P, Roth P (1988) Cold-blooded vertebrates. In: Balicek P, Forejt J, Rubes J (eds) Methods of Chromosome Analysis. Cytogeneticka sekce Ceskoslovenske biologicke spolecnosti pri CSAV, Brno Czech Republic, pp. 115–124Google Scholar
- Ráb P, Slechta V, Flajshans M (1994) Cytogenetics, cytotaxonomy and biochemical genetics of Huchoninae salmonids. Folia Zool 43:97–107Google Scholar
- Sofradzhija A (1979) The chromosomes of Hucho hucho (L.). Paper presented at the 3rd European Ichthyological Congress, Warsaw PolandGoogle Scholar
- Viktorovskij RM, Makoedov AN, Shevchishin AA (1985) The chromosomal sets of Brachymystax lenok and Hucho taimen and the divergency of the salmonid genera. Tsitologia 27:703–709 (in Russian with an English abstract)Google Scholar