Goal-oriented error estimation and mesh adaptivity in 3d elastoplasticity problems
- 405 Downloads
We propose a 3D adaptive method for plasticity problems based on goal-oriented error estimation, which computes the error with respect to a prescribed quantity of interest. It is a dual-based scheme which requires an adjoint problem. The computed element-wise errors at each load/displacement increment are utilized for the mesh adaptivity purpose. Mesh adaptivity procedure is performed based on refinement and coarsening by introducing hanging nodes in quadrilateral and hexahedral elements in 2d and 3d, respectively. Several numerical simulations are investigated and the results are compared with available analytical solutions, existing experimental data and results of mesh adaptivity based on other conventional error estimation methods.
KeywordsGoal-oriented error estimation Mesh adaptivity Elastoplasticity Von-Mises stress
The research has been supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) through Research Training Group 1462, which is gratefully acknowledged by the authors.
- Areias P, Rabczuk T (2010) Smooth finite strain plasticity with non-local pressure support. Int J Numer Methods Eng 81(1):106–134Google Scholar
- Bangerth W, Hartmann R, Kanschat G (2007) Deal.ii—a general-purpose object-oriented finite element library. ACM Trans Math Softw (TOMS) 33(4). doi: 10.1145/1268776.1268779
- Bangerth W, Heister T, Heltai L, Kanschat G, Kronbichler M, Maier M, Turcksin B, Young TD (2015) The deal.II library, version 8.2. Arch Numer Softw 3Google Scholar
- Becker R, Rannacher R (1996) A feed-back approach to error control in finite element methods: basic analysis and examples. East West J Numer Math 4:237–264Google Scholar
- Becker R, Rannacher R (1998) Weighted a posteriori error control in fe methods. In: Bock HG et al (eds) ENUMATH 95. World Scientific Publ., Singapore, pp 621–637Google Scholar
- Ghorashi SSh, Amani J, Bagherzadeh AS, Rabczuk T (2014) Goal-oriented error estimation and mesh adaptivity in three-dimensional elasticity problems. WCCM XI–ECCM V–ECFD VI, Barcelona, SpainGoogle Scholar
- Ghorashi SSh, Lahmer T, Bagherzadeh AS, Rabczuk T. Goal-oriented error estimation and mesh adaptivity in elasticity problems with heterogeneous material distribution. Eng Geol (submitted)Google Scholar
- Jia Y, Anitescu C, Ghorashi SSh, Rabczuk T (2014) Extended isogeometric analysis for material interface problems. IMA J Appl Math 80(3):608–633. doi: 10.1093/imamat/hxu004
- Khazal H, Bayesteh H, Mohammadi S, Ghorashi SSh, Ahmed A (2016) An extended element free Galerkin method for fracture analysis of functionally graded materials. Mech Adv Mater Struct 23(5):513–528. doi: 10.1080/15376494.2014.984093
- Simo JC, Hughes TJR (1998) Computational inelasticity. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Suttmeier F-T (2010) On plasticity with hardening: adaptive finite element discretization. Int Math Forum 52:2591–2601Google Scholar