Conway–Kochen and the Finite Precision Loophole
- 166 Downloads
Recently Cator and Landsman made a comparison between Bell’s Theorem and Conway and Kochen’s Strong Free Will Theorem. Their overall conclusion was that the latter is stronger in that it uses fewer assumptions, but also that it has two shortcomings. Firstly, no experimental test of the Conway–Kochen Theorem has been performed thus far, and, secondly, because the Conway–Kochen Theorem is strongly connected to the Kochen–Specker Theorem it may be susceptible to the finite precision loophole of Meyer, Kent and Clifton. In this paper I show that the finite precision loophole does not apply to the Conway–Kochen Theorem.
KeywordsConway–Kochen Theorem Kochen–Specker Theorem Finite precision loophole Noncontextuality Nonlocality
I would like to thank N. P. Landsman for encouraging comments on an early sketch of this paper. This work was supported by the NWO (Vidi Project nr. 016.114.354).
- 6.Bell, J.S.: On the Einstein Podolsky Rosen Paradox. Physics 1(3), 195–200 (1964)Google Scholar
- 7.Bell, J.S.: On the problem of hidden variables in quantum mechanics. Rev. Mod. Phys. 38(3) (1966), Reprinted in , pp. 447–452Google Scholar
- 13.Cator, E., Landsman, N.P.: Constraints on determinism: Bell versus Conway–Kochen. arXiv preprint. quant-ph/1402.1972 (2014)
- 23.Held, C.: The Kochen–Specker Theorem. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Zalta, E. N. (ed). Spring 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 24.Hermens, R.: Quantum mechanics: from realism to intuitionism. arXiv preprint. quant-ph/1002.1410 (2010)
- 27.Hooker, C.A. (ed.): The Logico-Algebraic Approach to Quantum Mechanics Volume I. D. Reidel, Dordrecht (1975)Google Scholar
- 31.Kochen, S., Specker, E. P: The problem of hidden variables in quantum mechanics. J. Math. Mech. 17, 59–67 (1967). Reprinted in , pp. 293–328Google Scholar
- 35.Peres, A.: Quantum Theory: Concepts and Methods. Kluwer Academic, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 38.Smolin, L.: Three Roads to Quantum Gravity. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, London (2000)Google Scholar