The value declaration: a method for integrating human values into design-oriented research projects
- 115 Downloads
For researchers who study technology designs, the application and execution of so-called design-oriented research projects are a common way of funding their research. Against this background, we propose a new methodical approach with which VSD can easily be implemented in such projects and which we call “value declaration”. We share our experience with this method which we gained in two design-oriented research projects.
KeywordsMethod Human values Design-oriented Project Value declaration
This article was supported by projects INEMAS (No. 16SV7235) and ELISE (No. 16SV7512) funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF).
- Friedman, B., Kahn, P. H. Jr., Borning, A., & Huldtgren, A. (2013). Value sensitive design and information systems. In: N. Doorn, D. Schuurbiers, I. van de Poel, M. E. Gorman (Eds.), Early engagement and new technologies: Opening up the laboratory (pp. 55–95). Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Friedman, B., Nathan, L. P., & Yoo, D. (2016). Multi-lifespan information system design in support of transitional justice: Evolving situated design principles for the long (er) term. Interacting with Computers, 29(1), 80–96.Google Scholar
- Miller, J. K., Friedman, B., Jancke, G., & Gill, B. (2007). Value tensions in design: The value sensitive design, development, and appropriation of a corporation’s groupware system. In Proceedings of the 2007 international ACM conference on Supporting group work (pp. 281–290). New York: ACM.Google Scholar
- Owen, R., Stilgoe, J., Macnaghten, P., Gorman, M., Fisher, E., & Guston, D. (2013). A framework for responsible innovation. In R. Owen, J. Bessant, M. Heints (Eds.), Responsible innovation: Managing the responsible emergence of science and innovation in society (pp. 27–50). Hoboken: WileyCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yoo, D., Derthick, K., Ghassemian, S., Hakizimana, J., Gill, B., & Friedman, B. (2016, May). Multi-lifespan design thinking: Two methods and a case study with the rwandan diaspora. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 4423–4434). New York: ACM.Google Scholar
- Yoo, D., Huldtgren, A., Woelfer, J. P., Hendry, D. G., & Friedman, B. (2013). A value sensitive action-reflection model: Evolving a co-design space with stakeholder and designer prompts. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems (pp. 419–428). New York: ACM.Google Scholar