Scandal or sex crime? Gendered privacy and the celebrity nude photo leaks
- 1.6k Downloads
In 2014, a large archive of hacked nude photos of female celebrities was released on 4chan and organized and discussed primarily on Reddit. This paper explores the ethical implications of this celebrity nude photo leak within a frame of gendered privacy violations. I analyze a selection of a mass capture of 5143 posts and 94,602 comments from /thefappening subreddit, as well as editorials written by female celebrities, feminists, and journalists. Redditors justify the photo leak by arguing the subjects are privileged because they are celebrities; that the celebrities are at fault for failing to appropriately protect their information; and that the only person ethically responsible for the leak is the hacker. The popular press primarily took a feminist perspective, linking the photo leak to institutionalized sexism and misogyny. I argue that the Reddit participants frame the privacy violations within a context of geek masculinity, in which references to masturbation and pornography and casually misogynist language are used to signify a normative masculine self. Privacy violations are de-emphasized when the victims are women and gender or feminist concerns are rejected. Entitlement to viewing women’s bodies and male sexual desire are prioritized over ethical concerns over privacy violations. The paper contributes to understanding how privacy violations are normatively gendered and reinforced by gender inequality.
KeywordsReddit Revenge porn Sexting Celebrities Gender and privacy Online misogyny
The author would like to thank Dr. Elena Filatova (New York City College of Technology) and Dr. Alex Leavitt (Facebook Research) for their assistance collecting data from Reddit. Many thanks to the Data & Society Research Institute for supporting this research with a Fellowship. Earlier versions of this work were presented at the Privacy Research Group at the Information Law Institute at NYU Law School; Hunter College; and at the 2016 Association of Internet Researchers annual meeting. Thank you to everyone who provided help and feedback.
- Alfonso, F. (2014, June 10). Reddit’s “beating women” forum banned. The Daily Dot. Retrieved from http://www.dailydot.com/news/reddit-beating-women-banned/.
- alienth. (2014, September 7). Time to talk • /r/announcements [forum post]. Retrieved December 2, 2016, from https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/2fpdax/time_to_talk/.
- Allen, A. L., & Mack, E. (1989). How privacy got its gender. N. Ill. UL Rev, 10, 441.Google Scholar
- Almog, R., & Kaplan, D. (2015). The nerd and his discontent: The seduction community and the logic of the game as a geeky solution to the challenges of young masculinity. Men and Masculinities, 20(1), 27–48. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/1097184X15613831.
- Barthel, M., Stocking, G., Holcomb, J., & Mitchell, A. (2016, February 25). Reddit news users more likely to be male, young and digital in their news preferences [blog post]. Retrieved December 1, 2016, from http://www.journalism.org/2016/02/25/reddit-news-users-more-likely-to-be-male-young-and-digital-in-their-news-preferences/.
- Bartow, A. (1999). Our date, ourselves: Privacy, propertization, and gender. USFL Rev, 34, 633.Google Scholar
- Chen, A. (2012a, October 12). Unmasking Reddit’s violentacrez, the biggest troll on the web [blog post]. Retrieved from http://gawker.com/5950981/unmasking-reddits-violentacrez-the-biggest-troll-on-the-web.
- Chen, A. (2012b, October 16). Reddit CEO speaks out on violentacrez in leaked memo: ‘We stand for free speech’. Gawker. http://gawker.com/5952349/reddit-ceo-speaks-out-on-violentacrez-in-leaked-memowe-stand-for-free-speech.
- Chouliaraki, L. (2006). The spectatorship of suffering. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Ltd.Google Scholar
- Citron, D., & Franks, M. A. (2014). Criminalizing revenge porn. Wake Forest Law Review, 49, 345.Google Scholar
- Connell, R. W. (2005). Masculinities. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Cubrilovic, N. (2014, September 2). Notes on the celebrity data theft—new web order [blog post]. Retrieved September 27, 2016, from https://www.nikcub.com/posts/notes-on-the-celebrity-data-theft/.
- DeCew, J. W., Regan, P. M., & Strentz, H. (2000). Celebrity, privacy, and American culture. Focus on Law Studies, 15(2), 1–11. Retrieved from http://www.americanbar.org/publications/focus_on_law_studies_home/publiced_focus_priv_celebrity.html.
- Duggan, M., & Smith, A. (2013). 6% of online adults are Reddit users [blog post]. Retrieved February 10, 2015, from http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/07/03/6-of-online-adults-are-reddit-users/.
- Eikren, E., & Ingram-Waters, M. (2016). Dismantling “You Get What You Deserve”: Toward a feminist sociology of revenge porn. Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, (10). Retrieved from http://adanewmedia.org/2016/10/issue10-eikren-ingramwaters/.
- Fairbairn, J. (2015). Rape threats and revenge porn: Defining sexual violence in the digital age. In J. Bailey & V. Steeves (Eds.), eGirls, eCitizens (pp. 229–252). Ottawa, ON: University of Ottawa Press. Retrieved from https://egirlsproject.ca/research/egirls-ecitizens-putting-technology-theory-and-policy-into-dialogue-with-girls-and-young-womens-voices/chapter-9-rape-threats-and-revenge-porn-defining-sexual-violence-in-the-digital-age-jordan-fairbairn/.
- Fairclough, N. (2003). Analysing discourse: Textual analysis for social research. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Franks, M. A. (2012). Sexual harassment 2.0. Maryland Law Review, 71. Retrieved from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1492433.
- Gallagher, S. E. (2007). Gender. In Staples (Ed.), Encyclopedia of privacy (Vol. A-M). Portsmouth: Greenwood Press.Google Scholar
- Gillespie, T. (2010). The politics of “platforms.” New Media & Society, 12(3), 347–364. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444809342738.
- Gray, F. V. (2016). Men’s intrusion, women’s embodiment: A critical analysis of street harassment. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Greenberg, A. (2014, September 10). Hacked celeb pics made Reddit enough cash to run its servers for a month. WIRED. Retrieved from http://www.wired.com/2014/09/celeb-pics-reddit-gold/.
- Hargittai, E., & Marwick, A. (2016). “What can i really do?” Explaining the privacy paradox with online apathy. International Journal of Communication, 10, 21.Google Scholar
- Hasinoff, A. A. (2015). Sexting panic: Rethinking criminalization, privacy, and consent. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Henry, N., & Powell, A. (2015). Embodied harms: Gender, shame, and technology-facilitated sexual violence. Violence Against Women, 21(6), 758–779. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801215576581.
- Jhaver, S., Chan, L., & Bruckman, A. (2016). The view from the other side: The border between controversial speech and harassment on Kotaku in action (under review).Google Scholar
- johnsmcjohn. (2014, September 7). I created /r/TheFappening. AMA • /r/IAmA [forum post]. Retrieved November 18, 2014, from http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2fom77/i_created_rthefappening_ama/.
- Kaminsky, D. (2014, September 3). Not safe for not working on [blog post]. Retrieved September 27, 2016, from https://dankaminsky.com/2014/09/03/not-safe-for-not-working-on/.
- Kashner, S. (2014, October 20). Both huntress and prey. Vanity Fair. Retrieved from http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/10/jennifer-lawrence-photo-hacking-privacy.
- Kelly, K. A. (2003). Domestic violence and the politics of privacy. New York: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Landes, J. B. (Ed.). (1998). Feminism, the public, and the private. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lenhart, A., Ybarra, M. L., & Price-Feeney, M. (2016a). Nonconsensual image sharing: One in 25 Americans has been a victim of “revenge porn.” New York: Data & Society Research Institute, Center for Innovative Public Health Research. Retrieved from https://datasociety.net/pubs/oh/Nonconsensual_Image_Sharing_2016.pdf.
- Lenhart, A., Ybarra, M. L., Zickuhr, K., & Price-Feeney, M. (2016b). Online harassment, digital abuse, and cyberstalking in America. New York: Data & Society Research Institute.Google Scholar
- Marcotte, A. (2014, September 3). “The fappening” and revenge porn culture: Jennifer Lawrence and the Creepshot Epidemic. The Daily Beast. Retrieved from http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/03/the-fappening-and-revenge-porn-culture-jennifer-lawrence-and-the-creepshot-epidemic.html.
- Marwick, A., Fontaine, C. & boyd, danah. (2017). “Nobody sees it, nobody gets mad”: Social media, privacy, and personal responsibility among low-SES youth. Social Media & Society, 3(2). Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2056305117710455.
- Matias, J. N. (2016). Going Dark: Social factors in collective action against platform operators in the reddit blackout. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1138–1151). ACM. Retrieved from http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2858391.
- Menegus, B. (2016, November 30). Reddit is tearing itself apart. Gizmodo. Retrieved from http://gizmodo.com/reddit-is-tearing-itself-apart-1789406294.
- Nakamura, L. (2012). Queer female of color: The highest difficulty setting there is? Gaming rhetoric as gender capital. Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, 1(1). Retrieved from http://adanewmedia.org/2012/11/issue1-nakamura/.
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center. (2016, January). What is sexual violence? Retrieved from http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/saam_2016_what-is-sexual-violence_0.pdf.
- Pateman, C. (1988). The patriarchal welfare state. In A. Gutmann (Ed.), Democracy and the welfare state (pp. 231–260). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Parkinson, H. J. (2014, August 20). James Foley: How social media is fighting back against Isis propaganda. The Guardian. Retrieved from http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/20/james-foley-how-social-media-is-fighting-back-against-isis-propaganda.
- Pascoe, C. J. (2007). Dude, you’re a fag: Masculinity and sexuality in high school. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Reagle, J. M. (2012). “Free as in sexist?” Free culture and the gender gap. First Monday, 18(1). Retrieved from http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/4291.
- Reagle, J. M. (2015). Reading the comments: Likers, haters, and manipulators at the bottom of the web. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Reddit. (2016, August 17). How is a submission’s score determined? [frequently asked questions document]. Retrieved December 2, 2016, from https://www.reddit.com/wiki/faq#wiki_how_is_a_submission.27s_score_determined.3F.
- Redditmetrics. (2016, November 30). New subreddits by date: Reddit history. Retrieved November 30, 2016, from http://redditmetrics.com/history.
- Ringrose, J., Gill, R., Livingstone, S., & Harvey, L. (2012). A qualitative study of children, young people and “sexting”: a report prepared for the NSPCC. London, UK: National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Retrieved from http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/44216.
- Schrock, D., & Schwalbe, M. (2009). Men, masculinity, and manhood acts. Annual Review of Sociology, 35, 277–295.Google Scholar
- Sontag, S. (1977). On Photography. New York: Picador.Google Scholar
- Sontag, S. (2003). Regarding the pain of others. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.Google Scholar
- Trice, M. (2015). Putting GamerGate in context: how group documentation informs social media activity. In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference on the Design of Communication (p. 37). ACM. Retrieved from http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2775471.
- Valenti, J. (2014, September 1). What’s wrong with checking out stolen nude photos of celebrities. The Atlantic. Retrieved from http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/09/leaked-photos-nude-celebrities-abuse/379434/.
- Vitak, J., Chadha, K., Steiner, L., & Ashktorab, Z. (2017). Identifying women’s experiences with and strategies for mitigating negative effects of online harassment. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing. Portland, OR: ACM. Retrieved from https://vitak.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/vitak_etal-2017-cscw-online-harassment.pdf.
- yishan. (2014, September 6). Every man is responsible for his own soul [blog post]. Retrieved November 18, 2014, from http://www.redditblog.com/2014/09/every-man-is-responsible-for-his-own.html.
- Zekany, E., & Cerwonka, A. (2011). The gendered geek: Performing masculinities in cyberspace. Unpublished Masters Dissertation, Budapest, Central European University. Retrieved from http://www.etd.ceu.hu/2011/zekany_eva.pdf.