Sustainable cropping pattern in North Iran: application of fuzzy goal programming
- 178 Downloads
Due to the important role that the application of mathematical programming models have in determining optimal cropping patterns, this research presents a sustainable cropping pattern that considers selected economic, environmental, and social goals together. Using a random sampling method, a sample size of 168 farmers was selected in the Sari County, Iran. Our results showed that economic, self-sufficiency, environmental, and social goals have a distinctly different impact on cropping pattern performance. Compared to the current cropping pattern, the gross margins for economic and social goals increased by nearly 11 and 2 %, respectively, and the gross margins for self-sufficiency and environmental goals decreased by nearly 2 and 36 %. Interestingly, it has been found that the performance of the current cropping pattern has an average positive impact of 6 % if economic, self-sufficiency, environmental, and social (employment) goals are realized simultaneously.
KeywordsSustainable agriculture Environmental development Crop planning Fuzzy sets
The authors wish to thank Ms. Bethany Gardner from the Department of Linguistics, the State University of New York at Binghamton, for her kind help in improving the English of this text.
- Charnes, A., & Cooper, W. W. (1961). Management models and industrial application of linear programming. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Cochran, W. G. (1977). Sampling techniques (3rd ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Erfanifar, S., Zibaei, M., & Kasrai, M. (2014). Application of multi-objective fuzzy goal programming to optimize cropping pattern with emphasis on using conservation tillage methods. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development, 28(2), 118–124. (In Persian).Google Scholar
- FAO. (2010). Natural Resources Management and Environment Department Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/docrep/013/al921e/al921e00.pdf.
- FFDP. (2010). Iran’s 5th Five-Year Development Plan (2011–2015). http://rc.majlis.ir/fa/law/show/790196.
- Hassan, I., & Ahmad, B. (2006). Optimum cropping pattern under various price options: A case study of Pakistan. Electronic Journal of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 5, 1167–1177.Google Scholar
- Herath, G., & Prato, T. (2006). Role of multi-criteria decision making in natural resource management. Using multi-criteria decision analysis in natural resource management (pp. 1–10). Burlington, VT: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Ignizio, J. P. (1976). Goal programming and extensions. Massachusetts: Lexington Books, D. C. Heath and Company.Google Scholar
- Iran’s Ministry of Agriculture Jihad. (2016). Statistical databases of agricultural production.Google Scholar
- Kohansal, M. R., & Mohammadian, F. (2007). Application of fuzzy goal programming to determine the optimal cropping pattern. Journal of Economics and Agricultural, 1(2), 169–183. (In Persian).Google Scholar
- Lee, S. M. (1972). Goal programming for decision analysis. Philadelphia: Auerbach Publishers.Google Scholar
- Mohaddes, S. A., & Mohayidin, M. G. (2008). Application of the fuzzy approach for agricultural production planning in a watershed: A case study of the Atrak watershed, Iran. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, 3(4), 636–648.Google Scholar
- Mohammadi, H., Boostani, F., & Kafilzadeh, F. (2012). Determining the optimal cropping pattern using nonlinear fuzzy multi-objective optimization algorithm: A case study. Journal of Water and Wastewater, 84, 43–55. (In Persian).Google Scholar
- Pal, B. B., & Moitra, B. N. (2003). Fuzzy goal programming approach to long-term land allocation planning problem in agricultural system: A case study. In Proceedings of the fifth International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition, (pp. 441–447). Allied Publishers.Google Scholar
- Romero, C. (1991). Handbook of critical issues in goal programming. Oxford: Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Sharifzadegan, M. H., Joudi Gollar, P., & Azizi, H. (2011). Assessing the strategic plan of tehran by sustainable development approach, using the method of “Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)”. International Conference on Green Buildings and Sustainable Cities. Procedia Engineering, 21, 186–195.Google Scholar
- Soltani, J., Karbasi, A. R., & Fahimifard, S. M. (2011). Determining optimum cropping pattern using fuzzy goal programming (FGP) model. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(14), 3305–3310.Google Scholar
- Sugianto, L. F., & Lu, X. B. (1999). Demand forecasting in the deregulated market: A bibliography survey, Australia. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.472.5134&rep=rep1&type=pdf.