Multivariate analysis of historical data (2004–2013) in assessing the possible environmental impact of the Bellolampo landfill (Palermo)
- 84 Downloads
Multivariate analysis was performed on a large data set of groundwater and leachate samples collected during 9 years of operation of the Bellolampo municipal solid waste landfill (located above Palermo, Italy). The aim was to obtain the most likely correlations among the data. The analysis results are presented. Groundwater samples were collected in the period 2004–2013, whereas the leachate analysis refers to the period 2006–2013. For groundwater, statistical data evaluation revealed notable differences among the samples taken from the numerous wells located around the landfill. Characteristic parameters revealed by principal component analysis (PCA) were more deeply investigated, and corresponding thematic maps were drawn. The composition of the leachate was also thoroughly investigated. Several chemical macro-descriptors were calculated, and the results are presented. A comparison of PCA results for the leachate and groundwater data clearly reveals that the groundwater’s main components substantially differ from those of the leachate. This outcome strongly suggests excluding leachate permeation through the multiple landfill lining.
KeywordsGroundwater Leachate PCA Landfill Pollutants Environmental
The authors are indebted to Dr. Giovanni Abbate and Dr. Vittoria Giudice of the Palermo Laboratory of ARPA Sicilia (Regional Agency for Environmental Protection), who provided the results of the chemical analysis of investigated wells. Their contribution is gratefully acknowledged.
This research was supported by the EU-funded project SIGLOD (Repubblica Italiana, PON04a2_F).
- Box, G. E. P., Hunter, J. S., & Hunter, W. G. (2005). Statistics for experimenters. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Chidamabaram, S., Ramanathan A.L., Srinivasamoorthy K., Ananthan P. (2002). A case study on the hydrogeochemistry of fluoride bearing groundwater of Erode District, Tamilnadu. Edited by V. Subramanian and A.L. Ramanathan. Vol. Ecohydrology. New Delhi: CPC.Google Scholar
- Contino, A., Cusimano, G., Di Cara, A., Di Maggio, C., Frias, F. A., & Hauser, S. (2001). Il ruolo del carsismo nella valutazione della vulnerabilità potenziale all’inquinamento degli acquiferi carbonatici dei monti di Palermo. Terrain, 323–332.Google Scholar
- Contino, A., Cusimano G., Frias Forcada A (1998). Modello Idrogeologico dei Monti di Palermo. 790° Congresso Nazionale Società Geologica Italiana (S.G.I.), 334–337.Google Scholar
- D.Lgs. n.152. (2006) «Decreto legislativo 3 aprile 2006, n. 152 - Norme in materia ambientale (T.U.: Testo Unico sull’Ambiente).» (Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana), n. 88 (04 2006).Google Scholar
- Indelicato, S., Orecchio, S., Avellone, G., Bellomo, S., Ceraulo, L., Di Leonardo, R., Di Stefano, V., Favara, R., Gagliano Candela, E., La Pica, L., Morici, S., Pecoraino, G., Pisciotta, A., Scaletta, C., Vita, F., Vizzini, S., & Bongiorno, D. (2017). Effect of solid waste landfill organic pollutants on groundwater in three areas of Sicily (Italy) characterized by different vulnerability. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24, 16869–16882.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IRSA-CNR, APAT (2003) Metodi analitici per le acque (Sez. 1000, 2000, 3000) Manuali e Linee Guida, n. 29.Google Scholar
- R.A.P., S.p.A. Piano di sorveglianza e controllo (PSC). Palermo, 2013;Google Scholar
- Ramanathan, A.L., Chidambaram S., Srinivasamoorthy K., Anandhan P. (2001). Dissolved ion concentrations in the surface and groundwaters of Neyvali mining regions. Edited by V. Subramanian and A.L. Ramanathan. Vol. Ecohydrology. New Delhi: CPC.Google Scholar