Application of PSO algorithm in short-term optimization of reservoir operation
- 228 Downloads
The optimization of the operation of existing water systems such as dams is very important for water resource planning and management especially in arid and semi-arid lands. Due to budget and operational water resource limitations and environmental problems, the operation optimization is gradually replaced by new systems. The operation optimization of water systems is a complex, nonlinear, multi-constraint, and multidimensional problem that needs robust techniques. In this article, the practical swarm optimization (PSO) was adopted for solving the operation problem of multipurpose Mahabad reservoir dam in the northwest of Iran. The desired result or target function is to minimize the difference between downstream monthly demand and release. The method was applied with considering the reduction probabilities of inflow for the four scenarios of normal and drought conditions. The results showed that in most of the scenarios for normal and drought conditions, released water obtained by the PSO model was equal to downstream demand and also, the reservoir volume was reducing for the probabilities of inflow. The PSO model revealed a good performance to minimize the reservoir water loss, and this operation policy can be an appropriate policy in the drought condition for the reservoir.
KeywordsReservoir operation Particle swarm optimization Mahabad dam Iran PSO model
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of Urmia University for this research under grant number BS/272/2011.
Compliance with ethical standards
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Asfaw, T. D., & Saiedi, S. (2011). Optimal short-term cascade reservoir operation using genetic algorithm. Asian Journal of scientific Research, 4(3), 297–305.Google Scholar
- Carlisle, A. & Dozier, G. (2001). An off-the-self PSO. Proceeding of the particle swarm optimization workshop, pp. 16.Google Scholar
- Cyriac, R. & Rastogi, A. K. (2013). An overview of the applications of particle swarm in water resources optimization, Proceedings of Seventh International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications (BIC-TA 2012), advances in intelligent systems and computing, (202), 41–52.Google Scholar
- Dariane, A. B. (1999). Optimization of reservoir operation during droughts by hedging rule, hydrology days, proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual American Geophysical Union, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, 84–96.Google Scholar
- Dariane, A. B. (2003). Reservoir operation during drought. International Journal of Engineering Transactions, 16(3), 209–216.Google Scholar
- Ebrahinifarsangi, H. (2002). Topological optimization of double layer grids using genetic algorithm. Ph.D Thesis, University of Surry, England.Google Scholar
- Hu, T., Zhang, X., Zeng, X., & Wang, J. (2016). A two-step approach for analytical optimal hedging with two triggers. Water journal, 8(52), 1–22.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, J. (1998). The behavior of particles. In: Porto V. W., Saravanan N., Waagen D. and Eiben A. E. (Eds.), Evolutionary Programming VII, 581–590.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, J. & Eberhart, R. C. (1995). Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the 1995 I.E. International Conference on Neural Networks, IEEE Service Center, Piscataway, NJ, 1942–1948.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R. C., & Shi, Y. (Eds.) (2001). Swarm intelligence. San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Mathur, Y. P., & Nikam, S. J. (2009). Optimal reservoir operation policies using genetic algorithm. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 1(2), 184–187.Google Scholar
- Monem, M. J., & Nouri, M. A. (2010). Application of PSO method for optimal water delivery in irrigation networks. Iranian Journal of Irrigation and Drainage, 4(1), 73–82.Google Scholar
- Parsopoulos, K., & vrahatis, M. N. (2002). Particle swarm optimization method for constrained optimization problem. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, 76, 214–220.Google Scholar
- Schardong, A. & Simonovic, S. P. (2011). Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithms of Water Resources Management. Water Resources Research Report. Report No. 078, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Western Ontario, Canada.Google Scholar
- Shi, Y. & Eberhart, R. A. (1998a). Parameter selection in particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Conference on Evolutionary Programming. New York, 591–600.Google Scholar
- Shi, Y., & Eberhart R.A. (1998b). A modified particle swarm optimizer. In: Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on evolutionary computation. Anchorage, Alaska. 69–73.Google Scholar
- Shi, Y. H., & Eberhart, R. A. (1999). Empirical study of particle swarm optimization. IEEE Proc Cong Evol Comput., 3, 1945–1950.Google Scholar