Genotoxic effects of the herbicide Roundup® in the fish Corydoras paleatus (Jenyns 1842) after short-term, environmentally low concentration exposure
The glyphosate-based herbicide, Roundup®, is one of the most used pesticides worldwide. In concert with the advent of transgenic crops resistant to glyphosate, the use of this pesticide has led to an increase in agricultural yields. The objective of this study was to evaluate the genotoxic effect that the herbicide Roundup® (at a concentration of 6.67 μg/L, corresponding to 3.20 μg/L glyphosate) can have on the fish Corydoras paleatus. Treatment groups were exposed for 3, 6, and 9 days, and effects were analyzed using the piscine micronucleus test (PMT) and comet assay. A group subjected to filtered water only was used as a negative control. The PMT did not show differences between the control and exposed groups for any of the treatment times. In contrast, the comet assay showed a high rate of DNA damage in group exposed to Roundup® for all treatment times, both for blood and hepatic cells. We conclude that for the low concentration used in this research, the herbicide shows potential genotoxic effects. Future research will be important in evaluating the effects of this substance, whose presence in the environment is ever-increasing.
KeywordsGlyphosate Fish Comet assay Piscine micronucleus test Water pollution
- Canadian Council on Animal Care (2003) Guidelines on: laboratory animal facilities—characteristics, design and development, Ottawa ON Canada, p. 115. http://www.ccac.ca. Accessed 7 Sep 2011.
- Cestari, M. M., Lemos, P. M. M., Oliveira-Ribeiro, C. A., Costa, J. R. M. A., Pelletier, E., Ferraro, M. V. M., et al. (2004). Genetic damage induced by trophic doses of lead in the neotropical fish Hoplias malabaricus (Characiformes, Erythrinidae) as reveled by the comet assay and chromosomal aberrations. Genetic and Molecular Biology, 27(2), 270–274.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- CEE—Comunidade Econômica Européia (1980). Directiva 80/778/CEE relativa à qualidade de águas destinadas ao consumo humano. Jornal Oficial da Comunidade Européia, n. L299, 20 p. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=celex:31980l0778:pt:html. Accessed 10 Dec 2009.
- Cox, C. (1998). Glyphosate factsheet. Journal of Pesticide Reform, 108(3), 3–17.Google Scholar
- Ferraro, M. V. M., Fenocchio, A. S., Mantovani, M. S., Cestari, M. M., & Ribeiro, C. A. O. (2004). Mutagenic effects of tributyltin (TBT) and inorganic lead (PbII) on the fish H. malabaricus as evaluated using the comet assay and piscine micronucleous and chromosome aberrations tests. Genetic and Molecular Biology, 27(1), 103–107.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ghisi, N. C., Ramsdorf, W. A., Ferraro, M. V. M., Almeida, M. I. M., Ribeiro, C. A. O., & Cestari, M. M. (2010). Evaluation of genotoxicity in Rhamdia quelen (Pisces, Siluriformes) after sub-chronic contamination with Fipronil. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 180, 589–599. doi:10.1007/s10661-010-1807-7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gomez, S. E. (1992). Concentracion letal de oxigeno dissuelto para Corydoras paleatus y Pimelodella laticeps (Pisces, Siluriformes). Revista del Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales Bernardino Rivadavia, 7(2), 31–45.Google Scholar
- Governmental Decree 518 of the Ministry of Health—Ministerio da Saúde-Portaria MS nº518/2004 publicado no Diário Oficial da União de 26 de março de 2004. http://www.casan.com.br/docs/PortariaMS518_2004.pdf. Accessed 18 February 2012
- Kobayashi, H., Sugiyama, C., Morikawa, Y., Hayashi, M., & Sofuni, T. (1995). A comparison between manual microscopic analysis and computerized image analysis in the single cell gel electrophoresis. Mammalian Mutagenicity Study Group Communications, 3, 103–115.Google Scholar
- R Development Core Team (2011). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org/.
- Rossi, S. C., Silva, M. D. S., Piancini, L. D. S., Ribeiro, C. A. O., Cestari, M. M., & Assis, H. C. S. (2011). Sublethal effects of waterborne herbicides in tropical freshwater fish. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 87, 603–607. doi:10.1007/s00128-011-0397-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Speit, G., & Hartmann, A. (1999). The comet assay (single-cell gel test), a sensitive genotoxicity test for the detection of DNA damage and repair. In D. S. Henderson (Ed.), Methods in molecular biology DNA repair protocols—eukaryotic systems (pp. 203–211). Totowa: Hum Press. 113.Google Scholar
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. (2009). National primary drinking water regulations, EPA 816-F-09-004. http://www.epa.gov/safewater/. Accessed 28 June 2011.
- ZHEW (2002). Monitoring network in fruit plantations and investigation of drainage water. 1996–2001. Zuiveringsschap Hollandse Eilanden en Waarden, Dordrecht (in Dutch). @@@ As cited in Horth et al. 2004. Survey of glyphosate in groundwaters and surface waters in Europe. Final update report 2003/2004, p. 71.Google Scholar