The role of risk in e-retailers’ adoption of payment methods: evidence for transition economies
We use logit analysis to exploit a self-collected dataset on the payment and delivery options offered by the vast majority of B2C websites in five Central Asian transition economies. Specifically, we conduct a supply-side test of (elements of) the Transaction Context Model, which highlights the role of perceived risk. Our results confirm that e-retailers in sectors with higher average transaction values are more likely to adopt ‘pay in advance’ instruments—such as debit cards—that have a lower payment risk for the seller. We also find that merchants who offer higher-risk delivery options are more prone to also adopt higher-risk payment instruments (such as credit cards). Our control variables also yield interesting results. In particular, in line with the network externalities theory, we find evidence that the offline penetration of a payment instrument positively affects online merchant adoption.
KeywordsOnline payment methods Transaction context Risk Delivery methods B2C e-commerce Transition economies
We are indebted to two anonymous referees for very detailed and helpful suggestions, and to our colleague Malaika Brengman for comments and help in scoring the sectors on transaction size. We also thank Dominique Steenbeek of MasterCard Worldwide (for providing us with information on merchant fees in Central Asia) and several contacts at Kazkommertsbank of Kazakhstan, Central Bank of Kyrgyzstan, National Bank and VneshEconom Bank of Turkmenistan, as well as Hamkor Bank and Asaka Bank of Uzbekistan (for information on local payment methods). An earlier version of this paper was presented at the joint European Central Bank/Banque de France conference on “Retail payments at a crossroads: economics, strategies, and future policies”, Paris, October 11–21, 2013. We thank the conference participants and especially our discussant, Nicole Jonker.
- 2.Arango, C., & Taylor, V. (2008). Merchant acceptance, costs, and perceptions of retail payments: A Canadian survey. Bank of Canada Discussion Paper 2008-12. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/dp08-12.pdf.
- 3.Ardizzi, G. (2012). The impact of microchips on payment card fraud. Journal of Financial Market Infrastructures, 1(2), 25–44.Google Scholar
- 4.Avesta Investment Group. (2008, March 10). Oбзop Ocнoвныx Экoнoмичecкиx Coбытий: Oбopoт пo плacтикoвым кapтaм cocтaвил 594 млpд. Cyм [A review of essential economic events: Plastic card turnover amounts to 594 bn Soum]. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://data.cbonds.info/comments/2008/30406/ud080310r.pdf.
- 6.Bounie, D., François, A., & Van Hove, L. (2015). Consumer payment preferences, network externalities, and merchant card acceptance: An empirical investigation. Working Paper. Last accessed October 2, 2015, from http://ssrn.com/abstract=2405361.
- 7.Committee on Payment and Settlement Systems. (2003). A glossary of terms used in payments and settlement systems. Bank for International Settlements. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://www.bis.org/publ/cpss00b.pdf.
- 8.Demirgüç-Kunt, A., & Klapper, L. (2012, April). Measuring financial inclusion: The Global Findex Database. World Bank Policy Research Paper 6025.Google Scholar
- 9.European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). (2011, June 29). The life in transition survey II. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://www.ebrd.com/news/publications/special-reports/life-in-transition-survey-ii.html.
- 10.Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC). (2010, February). Retail payment systems. IT Examination Handbook. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://ithandbook.ffiec.gov/ITBooklets/FFIEC_ITBooklet_RetailPaymentSystems.pdf.
- 14.Guislain, P. (2004). The postal sector in developing and transition countries: Contributions to a reform agenda. Working Paper. The World Bank Group Global Information and Communication Technologies Department, Policy Division. (September 1, 2004). Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://go.worldbank.org/ZU787HHW00.
- 17.Hille, K. (2010, October 20). Alibaba plans China Delivery Network. Financial Times. Last accessed October 8, 2015, from http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8dbb3baa-dc6d-11df-a0b9-00144feabdc0.html.
- 18.Hille, K. (2012, June 13). Chinese online retailer eyes acquisitions. Financial Times. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8e99bf70-b46f-11e1-bb2e-00144feabdc0.html.
- 19.Hinshaw, D. (2012, June 5). Online Shopping Emerges in Nigeria. The Wall Street Journal. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB40001424052702303879604577412043390891430.html.
- 20.Hu, L., Zhang, W., & Xu, Q. (2013). The determinants of online payment method choice: Insight from an eye-tracking study. In WHICEB 2013 proceedings. Paper 80.Google Scholar
- 21.ICT Policy Project. (2008). Review of information and communications technologies development in Uzbekistan for 2006–2008. UNDP. CIAU. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://www.undp.uz/en/publications/publication.php?id=212.
- 22.Innopay. (2009, March). Online payments 2009—European market overview. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from https://innopay.com/blog/online-payments-2009-european-market-overview/.
- 25.Katz, M. L., & Shapiro, C. (1985). Network externalities, competition, and compatibility. American Economic Review, 75(3), 424–440.Google Scholar
- 27.King, D. (2012). Chip-and-PIN: Success and challenges in reducing fraud. Working Paper. Retail Payments Risk Forum, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from https://www.frbatlanta.org/documents/rprf/rprf_pubs/120111_wp.pdf.
- 28.Kosse, A. (2010, June). Creditcards: acceptatie en gebruik van toeslagen door winkeliers. Een pilot onderzoek. Working Paper. De Nederlandsche Bank.Google Scholar
- 32.Lee, H. L., & Whang, S. (2001). Winning the last mile of e-commerce. MIT Sloan Management Review, 42(4), 54–62.Google Scholar
- 33.Li, H., Ward, R., & Zhang, H. (2003). Risk, convenience, cost and online payment choice: A study of eBay transactions. Working Paper. Georgia Institute of Technology. Last accessed October 3, 2015, from http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~hl45/research/ebay.pdf.
- 34.Liezenberg, C., Lycklama, D., & Smorenberg, H. (2007). Understanding buyer and seller behaviour for improved payment product development. Journal of Payments Strategy & Systems, 1(3), 219–227.Google Scholar
- 38.Mayhew, B. (2007). Central Asia (Lonely Planet Travel Guides) (4th ed.). London: Lonely Planet.Google Scholar
- 39.Milne, R. (2013, March 6). A Swedish take on ‘buy now, pay later’. Financial Times. Last accessed October 8, 2015, from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/35f1d24a-7f6c-11e2-8d96-00144feabdc0.html.
- 41.MoneyNews. (2007, February 1). B Узбeкиcтaнe pacтyт oбъeмы бeзнaличныx кapтoчныx плaтeжeй [The volume of non-cash payments is rising in Uzbekistan]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://moneynews.ru/7786/.
- 43.National Bank for Foreign Economic Activity of the Republic of Uzbekistan. (2010). Плacтикoвыe кapтoчки HБУ - для тex, ктo цeнит вpeмя и кoмфopт! [Plastic cards of NBU—for those who value time and comfort!]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://uzbank.net/plastfiznbu.php.
- 44.National Bank of Tajikistan. (2010, May). Плaтeжнaя cиcтeмa Pecпyблики Taджикиcтaн [Payment system of Tajikistan]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://nbt.tj/ru/payment_system/.
- 45.National Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic. (2010, May 27). Oтчeт o тeкyщeм cocтoянии плaтeжнoй cиcтeмы Кыpгызcкoй Pecпyблики [Report on current payment system of Kyrgyz Republic]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://www.nbkr.kg/index1.jsp?item=97.
- 46.National Bank of the Republic of Kazakhstan. (2010, November 1). Cтaтиcтикa пo плaтeжным кapтoчкaм [Statistics regarding plastic cards]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://www.nationalbank.kz.
- 47.Odedra-Straub, M. (2003). E-commerce and development: Whose development? Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 11(2), 1–5.Google Scholar
- 48.Palmer, M. (2014, March 26). Bitcoin: Retailers adopt virtual currency. Financial Times. Last accessed October 8, 2015, from http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/90b9c5c0-adb5-11e3-9ddc-00144feab7de.html.
- 50.Plus Journal. (2010, February 28). Кapтoчный pынoк Узбeкиcтaнa: 75:25 в пoльзy тopгoвыx тpaнзaкций [Plastic card market of Uzbekistan]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://www.plusworld.ru/daily/kartochniy-rinok-uzbekistana-7525-v-polzu-torgovih-tranzakciy/.
- 51.Polasik, M., & Fiszeder, P. (2010, February 28). Factors determining the acceptance of payment methods by online shops in Poland. Working Paper. Nicolaus Copernicus University, Torun. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1541202.
- 54.Roztocki, N., & Weistroffer, H.R. (2009). Research trends in information and communications technology in developing, emerging and transition economies. Roczniki Kolegium Analiz Ekonomicznych Zeszyt (Annals of the Collegium of Economic Analysis), 20, 113–128. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://ssrn.com/abstract=1577270.
- 55.Schuh, S., & Stavins, J. (2015). How do speed and security influence consumers’ payment behavior? Current Policy Perspectives No. 15-1. Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://www.bostonfed.org/economic/current-policy-perspectives/index.htm.
- 57.Stavins, J. (2013). Security of retail payments: The new strategic objective, public policy. Discussion Papers No. 13-9. Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://www.bostonfed.org/economic/ppdp/index.htm.
- 58.Trend Capital. (2010, July 28). Oбopoт пo плacтикoвым кapтaм в Узбeкиcтaнe в пepвoм пoлyгoдии выpoc в 2,5 paзa [Turnover of plastic cards in Uzbekistan has increased 2.5 times in the first half of the year]. Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://mail2.trend.az/capital/banks/1727341.html.
- 60.UNDP. (2010). The human development index (HDI 2010). Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/human-development-report-2010.
- 62.Van Hove, L. (2016). Could ‘nudges’ steer us towards a ‘less-cash society’? In J. Gorka (Ed.), Transforming payment systems in Europe. Palgrave Studies in Banking and Financial Institutions (Forthcoming). Google Scholar
- 63.World Bank. (2009). Population 2009. Data Catalog (2010). Last accessed October 7, 2015, from http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog.