Diet and health—finding a path to Veritas
The relation between diet and health has been one of the most complex, often controversial, topics in both public discussions and scientific circles. The invitation to deliver the 164th Cutter Lecture at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health offered an opportunity to summarize my efforts over the last four decades to understand this area, which included work on both methodological issues and examples of substantive analyses. I appreciate the invitation of Dr. Hofman to encapsulate these thoughts as an essay for the European Journal of Epidemiology, and hope that this may be helpful to others working in this area or taking on new challenges in unrelated topics.
To begin, I would note that this path has not been lonely. I have gained enormously along the way from the insights and efforts of many other faculty members, students, and postdoctoral fellows, some of whom I will mention specifically, but it is not possible to mention everyone here. While insights and...
KeywordsDiet Dietary Nutritional Nutrition Epidemiology Assessment
- 2.Wc W, Ra F, Jrk R, Wd B, Lv P. Health and nutrition in Michigan Indians. Mich Med. 1970;69:305–11.Google Scholar
- 11.Prentice RL, Caan B, Chlebowski RT, Patterson R, Kuller LH, Ockene JK, Margolis KL, Limacher MC, Manson JE, Parker LM, et al. Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of invasive breast cancer: the women’s health initiative randomized controlled dietary modification trial. JAMA. 2006;295(6):629–42.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 2015.Google Scholar
- 14.Willett WC. Nutritional epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press; 1990.Google Scholar
- 37.Satija A, Bhupathiraju SN, Rimm EB, Spiegelman D, Chiuve SE, Borgi L, Willett WC, Manson JE, Sun Q, Hu FB. Plant-based dietary patterns and incidence of type 2 diabetes in US men and women: results from three prospective cohort studies. PLoS Med. 2016;13(6):e1002039.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 44.Yuan C, Spiegelman D, Rimm EB, Rosner BA, Stampfer MJ, Barnett JB, Chavarro JE, Rood JC, Harnack LJ, Sampson LK, et al. Relative validity of nutrient intakes assessed by questionnaire, 24-hour recalls, and diet records as compared with urinary recovery and plasma concentration biomarkers: findings for women. Am J Epidemiol. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwx328.
- 47.Bhushan A, Fondell E, Ascherio A, Yuan C, Grodstein F, Willett W. Adherence to Mediterranean diet and subjective cognitive function in men. Eur J Epidemiol. 2018;1–12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-017-0330-3.