Progress on the study of the mechanism of busulfan cytotoxicity
- 100 Downloads
The preparation of spermatogonial stem cell (SSC) transplant recipients laid the technical foundation for SSC transplant technology and the understanding of spermatogenesis mechanisms. Busulfan is commonly used to prepare recipients for mouse SSC transplantation; however, its safety and efficiency have been questioned. This review summarizes the relationship between SSCs and Sertoli cells (SCs), and the mechanism of busulfan toxicity against sperm cells. We concluded that the proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis of SSCs are regulated by SCs. The endogenous spermatogenic cells are depleted by busulfan treatment via alkylation of DNA, destruction of vimentin filament distribution, disruption of SSC differentiation, promotion of SSC dormancy, and generation of oxidative stress. However, the mechanisms require further exploration. The recent establishment of a model in vitro culture system has provided a good technical foundation to further explore these mechanisms, which will help us to find more efficient methods of recipient preparation and optimal transplantation times.
KeywordsMice Busulfan Spermatogenic cells Spermatogonial stem cells Sertoli cells
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 31772595) and the Beijing Dairy Industry Innovation Team (BAIC06-2017).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Kanatsu-Shinohara M, Morimoto H, Shinohara T (2016) Fertility of male germline stem cells following spermatogonial transplantation in infertile mouse models. Biol Reprod 94:112Google Scholar
- Kissel H, Timokhina I, Hardy MP, Rothschild G, Tajima Y, Soares V, Angeles M, Whitlow SR, Manova K, Besmer P (2000) Point mutation in kit receptor tyrosine kinase reveals essential roles for kit signaling in spermatogenesis and oogenesis without affecting other kit responses. EMBO J 19:1312–1326CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lindsten T, Ross AJ, King A, Zong WX, Rathmell JC, Shiels HA, Ulrich E, Waymire KG, Mahar P, Frauwirth K, Chen Y, Wei M, Eng VM, Adelman DM, Simon MC, Ma A, Golden JA, Evan G, Korsmeyer SJ, MacGregor GR, Thompson CB (2000) The combined functions of proapoptotic Bcl-2 family members bak and bax are essential for normal development of multiple tissues. Mol Cell 6:1389–1399CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Luo XMZC, Yang SX, Wang LL (2010) Murine model of busulfan-induced spermatogenesis regeneration: a quantitative evaluation. Natl J Androl 16:395–399Google Scholar
- Wu C, Zhang Y, Shen Q, Zhou Z, Liu W, Hua J (2016) Resveratrol changes spermatogonial stem cells (SSCs) activity and ameliorates their loss in busulfan-induced infertile mouse. Oncotarget 7:82085–82096Google Scholar