A Wavelet-Based Approach to Filter Out Symmetric Macroeconomic Shocks
We propose a novel method for econometric time series analysis. This method acts as the comovement-selective filter and is useful to filter out the cycles that are caused by an global event present in the reference time series. We demonstrate its applicability on removing symmetric macroeconomic shock caused by recent financial crisis from the business cycle of the euro area according to the comovement with the United States. The application allowing to identify the country specific business cycles in the Visegrad countries data using the comovement with Germany is also presented. The method is based on the continuous wavelet transform, its inverse and the comovement measurement in the time-frequency domain. Its application also enables to uncover detailed development of the business cycle synchronization in time.
KeywordsWavelet transform Filters Comovement Macroeconomic shocks
This research was a part of the Czech Science Foundation grant No. P402/11/0570 with partial support of the internal FEKT-S-11-12 project. The simulations were performed in the laboratories of the SIX research center, Reg. No. CZ.1.05/2.1.00/03.0072 built up with aid of CZ.1.07/2.3.00/20.0007 WICOMT project. Support of the Jean Monnet Multilateral Research Group Grant No. 530069-LLP-1-2012-1-CZ-AJM-RE is also acknowledged.
- Aastveit, K. A., Gerdrup, K. R., & Jore, A. S. (2011). Short-term forecasting of GDP and inflation in real-time: Norges Bank’s system for averaging models. Staff Memo 2011/9, Norges Bank.Google Scholar
- Czech National Bank. (2011, November 10). Inflation report IV/2011. Accessed December 28, 2012, from http://www.cnb.cz/en/monetary_policy/inflation_reports/2011/2011_IV/.
- Gencay, R., Selcuk, F., & Whitcher, B. (2002). An introduction to wavelets and other filtering methods in finance and economics. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Hlawatsch, F., & Auger, F. (2008). Time-frequency analysis. London: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Iacobucci, A., & Noullez, A. (2005). A frequency selective filter for short-length time series. Computational Economics, 25(1), 75–102.Google Scholar
- Mallat, S. (2009). A wavelet tour of signal processing. The sparse way (3rd ed.). New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Mathworks, Matlab R2012a (2012). Documentation—Wavelet toolbox, Inverse continuous Wavelet Transform [online]. www.mathworsk.com.
- Song, H. Wu, X., Huang, C., Wei, Y., & Wang, X. (2012). Measurement of fast-changing low velocities by photonic Doppler velocimetry. Review of Scientific Instruments, 83, 2012.Google Scholar
- Vidakovic, B. (1999). Statistical modeling by wavelets. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar