Composition and Antioxidant, Anticholinesterase, and Antibacterial Activities of the Essential Oil of Salvia buchananii from Algeria
The genus Salvia (Lamiaceae) is represented by more than 900 species distributed worldwide . In Algeria, there are 23 species from which S. jaminiana, S. verbenaca subsp., S. clandestina, S. barrilieri, and S. argentea subsp. aurasiaca were the subject of our studies [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]. We present here the first report on the essential oil composition, the antioxidant, anticholinesterase, and the antibacterial activities of the species Salvia buchananii Hedge which has been previously investigated for its phytochemicals [8, 9].
Extraction. The hydrodistillation, in a Clenvenger-type apparatus, of fresh aerial parts (200 g) of Salvia buchananii, collected at Constantine in August 2015 (Voucher number: LOST Sb08.16), yielded 0.9% of a yellow fragrant essential oil.
GC and GC-MS Analyses. GC analysis was performed on a Hewlett Packard 6890 gas chromatograph equipped with an FID and HP-5MS capillary column. The GC/MS was performed using a Hewlett Packard 6890 gas chromatograph coupled...
- 4.A. Kabouche and Z. Kabouche, Studies in Natural Products Chemistry, edited by Atta-u-Rahman, Elsevier, Vol. 35, 2008, p. 753.Google Scholar
- 11.R. P. Adams, Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, 4th Ed. Allured Publishing Co. Carol Stream, Illinois, 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.F. W. Mclafferty and D. B. Stauffer, The Important Peak Index of the Registry of Mass Spectral Data, John Wiley & Son, New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- 13.E. O. Kose, G. Ongut, and A. Yanikoglu, Afr. J. Microbiol. Res., 16, 1489 (2013).Google Scholar
- 16.N. Tabanca, B. Demirci, K. H. Can Baser, Z. Aytac, M. Ekici, S. I. Khan, M. R. Jacob, and D. E. Wedge, J. Agric. Food Chem., 54, 6593 (2006).Google Scholar
- 18.M. Coisin, I. Burzo, M. Stefan, E. Rosenhech, and M. M. Zamfirache, Sect. II a. Biol. Veget., 58, 51 (2012).Google Scholar
- 23.P. A. Villionova, Approch Standard NCCLS Publication M2-A5 (1993).Google Scholar