A New 2-(2-Phenylethyl)Chromone From Aquilaria sinensis
- 1 Downloads
A new 2-(2-phenylethyl)chromone, 5-hydroxy-8-methoxy-2-[2-(4′methoxyphenyl)-ethyl]chromone (1), was isolated from Aquilaria sinensis (Lour.) Spreng., together with six other known compounds. Their structures were elucidated by analysis of spectroscopic data. The antibacterial activities of these compounds were determined, with compounds 6 and 7 showing significant antibacterial activities against Staphylococcus aureus, and compound 1 exhibiting the best activity against MRSA out of all the isolated compounds. Structure activity relationship analysis revealed that it is crucial for antibacterial activity that the A-ring is substituted.
KeywordsAquilaria sinensis 2-(2-phenylethyl)chromone derivatives antibacterial activity
We thank the Foundation (81102418, 31100496, 81203006) of the National Natural Science Foundation of China. The work was also supported by the Scientific Research Innovation Team Foundation of the Logistics University of CPAPF (WHTD201304). We thank Alison McGonagle, PhD, from Edanz Group (www.edanzediting.com/ac) for editing a draft of this manuscript.
- 1.Pharmacopoeia Committee of the People's Republic of China, 2010, p. 172.Google Scholar
- 2.H. N. Li, Q. X. Mei, H. Z. Lin, and H. F. Wu, China Pharm., 35, 3349 (2011).Google Scholar
- 8.J. S. Yang, Y. L. Wang, and Y. L. Su, Acta Pharm. Sin., 24, 678 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Yang, Y. L. Wang, and Y. L. Su, Acta Pharm. Sin., 25, 186 (1990).Google Scholar
- 10.A. S. Gibson, Bano Biggyn Patrika, 6, 16 (1977).Google Scholar