Do Direct Survivors of Terrorism Remaining in the Disaster Community Show Better Long-Term Outcome than Survivors Who Relocate?
Little is known about whether, compared to terrorism survivors who relocated to another area, better long-term outcome occurs in terrorism survivors who remain in the community, which may offer social support and formal services as well as ongoing trauma reminders and adversities. A cross-sectional telephone survey of OKC bombing survivors 19 years later assessed current symptoms of PTSD, anxiety and depression; posttraumatic growth; life satisfaction; medical conditions; alcohol use and smoking. We interviewed 138 survivors–114 (82.6%) remaining in OKC area and 24 (17.4%) relocated. Remaining survivors had higher PTS, anxiety and depression and lower posttraumatic growth scores than relocated survivors, and more remaining survivors disagreed with being satisfied with life, with differences not statistically significant. Groups did not differ in major medical problems except heart disease, not significantly different after adjusting for gender. Groups did not differ significantly in smoking or alcohol use. Contrary to expectations, remaining within the community after terrorism was not associated with better long-term psychological or medical outcome. Possible factors relevant to the literature are discussed.
KeywordsTerrorism Relocated survivors Posttraumatic growth PTSD Community disaster Medical outcome
Authors wish to thank Vandana Varma, M.D., Amy Sue Goodin, Ph.D., and Paul Heath, Ph.D., for their contributions to this project.
This project was partly funded by the Arnold and Bess Ungerman Endowed Chair in Psychiatry.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Authors have no conflict of interest to report.
- Bonanno, G. A., Brewin, C. R., Kaniasty, K., & La Greca, A. M. (2010). Weighing the costs of disaster: Consequences, risks, and resilience in individuals, families, and communities. Psychological Science, 11(1), 1–49.Google Scholar
- Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality (CBHSQ), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and by RTI International. (2015). Results from the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Retrieved July 22, 2017 from https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-DetTabs-2015/NSDUH-DetTabs-2015/NSDUH-DetTabs-2015.pdf.
- Hobfoll, S,E, Palmieri, P. A., Johnson, R. J., Canetti-Nisim, D., Hall, B. J., & Galea, S. (2009). Trajectories of resilience, resistance, and distress during ongoing terrorism: The case of Jews and Arabs in Israel. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77(1), 138–148. doi: 10.1037/a0014360.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kiliç, C., Aydin, I., Taskintuna, N., Ozcurumez, G., Kurt, G., Eren, E., Lale, T., Ozel, S., & Zileli, L. (2006). Predictors of psychological distress in survivors of the 1999 earthquakes in Turkey: Effects of relocation after the disaster. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 114, 194–202. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0447.2006.00786.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nickerson, A., Bryant, R. A., Schnyder, U., Schick, M., Mueller, J., & Morina, N. (2015). Emotional dysregulation mediates the relationship between trauma exposure, post-migration living difficulties and psychological outcomes in traumatized refugees. J Affective Disorders, 173, 185–192.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pietrzak, R. H., Feder, A., Singh, R., Schechter, C. B., Bromet, E. J., Katz, C. L., Reissman, D. B., Ozbay, F., Sharma, V., Crane, M., Harrison, D., Herbert, R., Levin, S. M., Luft, B. J., Moline, J. M., Stellman, J. M., Udasin, I. G., Landrigan, P. J., & Southwick, S. M. (2014). Trajectories of PTSD risk and resilience in World Trade Center responders: An 8-year prospective cohort study. Psychological Medicine, 44, 205–219.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Trautman, R., Tucker, P., Pfefferbaum, B., Lensgraf, S. J., Doughty, D., Buksh, A., & Miller, P. (2002). Effects of prior trauma and age on posttraumatic stress symptoms in asian immigrants after terrorism in the community. Community Mental Health Journal, 38(6), 459–474.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar