The Discriminative Ability of the Azeri Version of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in Outpatient Practice
In this study we examined the validity of the Azeri version of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ). The SDQ was administered to the parents of two samples of 4–16-year-old children: the case group was drawn from children presenting to the psychiatric outpatient service (n = 347) and the comparison group from the pediatric outpatient service (n = 267). The total difficulties score and the scores for each subscale were compared between two groups. The proportion of children with the total difficulties score in the abnormal range was higher in the case group than in the comparison group (74 and 34 %, p < 0.001). The mean difficulties score difference between two groups was significant (mean difference = 6.3, p < 0.001). The Receiver Operating Characteristics analysis showed good discriminative ability for the total difficulties score and difficulties subscales (p < 0.001). SDQ distinguished well between groups.
KeywordsScreening Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire Azeri Psychiatric disorders Children
- Alyahri, A., & Goodman, R. (2006). Validation of the Arabic Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire and the development and well-being assessment. East Mediterranean Health Journal, 12, 138–146.Google Scholar
- Essau, C. A., Olaya, B., Anastassiou-Hadjicharalambous, X., Pauli, G., Gilvarry, C., Bray, D., …, & Ollendick, T. H. (2012). Psychometric properties of the Strength and Difficulties Questionnaire from five European countries. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 21, 232–245. doi: 10.1002/mpr.1364.
- Gómez-Beneyto, M., Nolasco, A., Moncho, J., Pereyra-Zamora, P., Tamayo-Fonseca, N., Munarriz, M., …, & Girón, M. (2013). Psychometric behaviour of the strengths and difficulties questionnaire (SDQ) in the Spanish national health survey 2006. BMC Psychiatry, 13, 95. doi: 10.1186/1471-244X-13-95.
- Klasen, H., Woerner, W., Wolke, D., Meyer, R., Overmeyer, S., Kaschnitz, W., …, & Goodman, R. (2006). Comparing the German versions of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ-Deu) and the Child Behavior Checklist. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 9, 271–276.Google Scholar
- Marzocchi, G. M., Capron, C., Di Pietro, M., Duran Tauleria, E., Duyme, M., Frigerio, A., …, & Thérond, C. (2004). The use of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) in Southern European countries. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 13, 40–46. doi: 10.1007/s00787-004-2007-1.
- Obel, C., Heiervang, E., Rodriguez, A., Heyerdahl, S., Smedje, H., Sourander, A., …, & Olsen, J. (2004). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in the Nordic countries. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 13, 32–39. doi: 10.1007/s00787-004-2006-2.
- Rothenberger, A., Becker, A., Erhart, M., Wille, N., & Ravens-Sieberer, U. (2008). BELLA study group. Psychometric properties of the parent strengths and difficulties questionnaire in the general population of German children and adolescents: Results of the BELLA study. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 17, 99–105. doi:10.1007/s00787-008-1011-2.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Samad, L., Hollis, C., Prince, M., & Goodman, R. (2005). Child and adolescent psychopathology in a developing country: Testing the validity of the strengths and difficulties questionnaire (Urdu version). IInternational Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 14, 158–166.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shojaei, T., Wazana, A., Pitrou, I., & Kovess, V. (2009). The strengths and difficulties questionnaire: Validation study in French school-aged children and cross-cultural comparisons. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 44, 740–747. doi:10.1007/s00127-008-0489-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vicente, B., de la Barra, F., Saldivia, S., Kohn, R., Rioseco, P., & Melipillan, R. (2012). Prevalence of child and adolescent psychiatric disorders in Santiago, Chile: A community epidemiological study. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 47, 1099–1109. doi:10.1007/s00127-011-0415-3.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Woerner, W., Fleitlich-Bilyk, B., Martinussen, R., Fletcher, J., Cucchiaro, G., Dalgalarrondo, P., …, & Tannock, R. (2004). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire overseas: Evaluations and applications of the SDQ beyond Europe. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 13, 47–54. doi: 10.1007/s00787-004-2008-0.