Isolation and characterization of 12 microsatellite loci from cutlassfish (Trichiurus haumela)
- 100 Downloads
The cutlassfish (Trichiurus haumela) is an important commercial fish species. In the present study, we report 12 polymorphic microsatellite DNA markers for cutlassfish. The number of alleles per locus ranged from 2 to 9 in a sample of 26 individuals. Observed and expected heterozygosities per locus varied from 0.2727 to 0.9583 and from 0.4059 to 0.7926, respectively. Two loci (Trha25 and Trha27) showed significant departure from Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium after sequential Bonferroni correction (P < 0.0042). No significant linkage disequilibrium between pairs of loci was found. These microsatellite markers provide powerful tools for investigating genetic population structure, population history and conservation management of cutlassfish.
KeywordsCutlassfish Trichiurus haumela Microsatellites Genetic diversity
This study was supported by Taishan Scholar Project of Shandong Province, National Public Platform of Science & Technology Information Resources (2005DKA30470-06) and scientific foundation of YSFRI, CAFS (2007-qn-13).
- Claus F (1995) Multilingual illustrated guide to the world’s commercial warm water fish. Fishing News Book, Cambridge, 215 ppGoogle Scholar
- Hsu KC, Shih NT, Ni IH, Shao KT (2007) Genetic variation in trichiurus lepturus (perciformes: trichiuridae) in waters off taiwan: several species or cohort contribution. Raffles Bull Zool 14:215–220Google Scholar
- Luo B (1991) Cutlassfish. In: Fan CQ (ed) Marine fishery biology (in Chinese). Agriculture Press, Beijing, pp 111–160Google Scholar
- Ma HY, Chen SL, Liao XL, Xu TJ, Ge JC (2008a) Isolation and characterization of polymorphic microsatellite loci from a dinucleotide-enriched genomic library of obscure puffer (Takifugu obscurus) and cross-species amplification. Conserv Genet. doi: 10.1007/s10592-008-9540-2
- Ma HY, Chen SL, Li J, Bi JZ, Xu TJ (2008b) Cloning characterization of three female-specific AFLP markers and development of a reliable PCR-based sex identification method for tongue sole (Cynoglossus semilaevis). Prog Nat Sci (submitted)Google Scholar
- Nakamura I, Parin NV (1993) FAO species catalogue, vol 15. Snake mackerels and cutlassfishes of the world (families Gempylidae and Trichiuridae). An annotated and illustrated catalogue of the snake mackerels, snoeks, escolars, gemfishes, sackfishes, domine, oilfish, cutlassfishes, scabbardfishes, hairtails and frostfishes known to date. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Yang TY, Gao TX (2007) Isozyme analyses of Trichiurus haumela in the Yellow Sea and East China Sea. Mar Fish Res 28(3):44–49Google Scholar
- Yeh FC, Yang RC, Boyle T (1999) POPGENE version 1.31. Microsoft window-bases freeware for population genetic analysis. Available: (www.ualberta.ca/~fyeh/). University of Alberta and the Centre for International Forestry Research