Exposure to the IPCC special report on 1.5 °C global warming is linked to perceived threat and increased concern about climate change
This article investigates the influence of exposure to the IPCC special report on 1.5 °C global warming on climate change attitudes. Among a nationally representative sample of the Norwegian public, we found that exposure to the report is associated with greater perceived threat from climate change and increased climate change concern. However, this association was modestly moderated by political orientation. Exposure to the report had a weaker association with perceived threat and climate change concern among politically right-leaning individuals, compared with their left-leaning counterparts, and there was no association between exposure to the report and climate change concern among individuals who self-identified as being on the far-right end of the political spectrum. We conclude that, despite the commonly observed tendency for biased assimilation of climate change information and polarisation of opinion among the public, scientific communication regarding climate risks may still have a viable role to play in promoting climate change engagement and action.
KeywordsClimate change Risk communication Concern Norway
- Asiyanbi IE (2018) Rovaniemi people respond positively to IPCC’s stiffer target. The Daily Finland. http://www.dailyfinland.fi/weather/7797/Rovaniemi-people-respond-positively-to-IPCCu00b4s-stiffer-target/print. Accessed 3 Apr 2019
- Carbon Brief (2018) In-depth Q&A: The IPCC’s special report on climate change at 1.5C. https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth-qa-ipccs-special-report-on-climate-change-at-one-point-five-c. Accessed 2 Apr 2019.
- Chemnick J (2018) U.S. Stands with Russia and Saudi Arabia against climate science. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/u-s-stands-with-russia-and-saudi-arabia-against-climate-science/. .
- Davenport C (2018) Major climate report describes a strong risk of crisis as early as 2040. New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html. Accessed 3 Apr 2019.
- Doran M (2018) Environment minister says top climate scientists got it wrong over coal report. ABC News. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-09/environment-minister-says-calls-to-end-coal-drawing-long-bow/10354604. .
- European Council (2018) Climate change: council adopts conclusions. https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2018/10/09/climate-change-council-adopts-conclusions/. Accessed 2 Apr 2019
- Eustachewich L (2018) Terrifying climate change warning: 12 years until we’re doomed. New York Post. https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/terrifying-climate-change-warning-12-years-until-were-doomed/. Accessed 2 Apr 2019
- Fjellberg A (2018) Klimarapporten: Verden må gjennom endringer i et omfang vi aldri før har sett. DagbladetGoogle Scholar
- Fridays For Future Austria (2019) Über uns. https://www.fridaysforfuture.at/about. Accessed 2 May 2019
- Fridays for Future Germany (2019) Unsere Forderungen an die Politik. https://fridaysforfuture.de/forderungen/. Accessed 2 May 2019
- Glover S (2018) False warnings about climate change make us more sceptical. Daily Mail Online. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6263143/STEPHEN-GLOVER-False-warnings-climate-change-make-sceptical.html. Accessed 3 Apr 2019
- IPCC (2018) Global warming of 1.5 °C. An IPCC special report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels and related global greenhouse gas emission pathways, in the context of strengthening the global response to the threat of climate change,. In PressGoogle Scholar
- Kalaugher L (2018) IPCC special report on 1.5 °C: the reaction. Physics World. https://physicsworld.com/a/ipcc-special-report-on-1-5-c-the-reaction/. Accessed 3 Apr 2019
- Mathismoen O (2018) Klimapanelet: Verdens utslipp må halveres de neste 12 årene. Aftenposten. https://www.aftenposten.no/verden/i/rLRBE8/Klimapanelet-Verdens-utslipp-ma-halveres-de-neste-12-arene. Accessed 9 Apr 2019.
- McGrath M (2018a) Climate change: COP24 fails to adopt key scientific report. BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46496967. Accessed 3 Apr 2019
- McGrath M (2018b) Five things we have learned from the IPCC report. BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45784892. Accessed 3 Apr 2019
- Milman O (2018) Trump quiet as the UN warns of climate change catastrophe. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/09/trump-climate-change-report-ipcc-response. Accessed 2 Apr 2019.
- Mohdin A, Taylor M, Blackall M (2019) Extinction rebellion protesters stop traffic in London’s financial hub. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/24/extinction-rebellion-declares-end-to-london-protests. Accessed 25 Apr 2019
- Newman N, Fletcher R, Kalogeropoulos A et al (2018a) Reuters Institute Digital News Report 2018. UK, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Rognstrand A (2018) Forskere: 1,5 grader oppvarming globalt kan bli 3 grader i Norge. VG. https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/Kv4BlM/forskere-15-grader-oppvarming-globalt-kan-bli-3-grader-i-norge. Accessed 5 Aug 2019.
- Rommetveit A (2018) FN: Verden må gjøre endringer som menneskeheten aldri før har sett maken til. NRK. https://www.nrk.no/hordaland/fn_-verden-ma-gjore-endringer-som-menneskeheten-aldri-for-har-sett-maken-til-1.14237347. Accessed 9 Apr 2019
- Simon F (2019) Greta Thunberg: ‘We just want politicians to listen to the scientists.’ Euractiv.com. https://www.euractiv.com/section/climate-environment/news/greta-thunberg-we-just-want-politicians-to-listen-to-the-scientists/. Accessed 25 Apr 2019.
- Stefanini S (2018) Australia won’t give money to Green Climate Fund, says PM. Climate Home News. https://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/10/08/australia-wont-give-money-green-climate-fund-says-pm/. Accessed 3 Apr 2019.
- Taylor M, Vaughan A (2018) Overwhelmed by climate change? Here’s what you can do. The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/climate-change-what-you-can-do-campaigning-installing-insulation-solar-panels. Accessed 3 Apr 2019.
- The Guardian (2018) ‘The heatwave was a wake up call’: readers on a year of climate change anxiety. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/21/the-heatwave-was-a-wake-up-call-readers-on-a-year-of-climate-change-anxiety. Accessed 3 Apr 2019.
- Thomas A (2018) Time to wake up: climate change is already here. ScienceNordic. http://sciencenordic.com/time-wake-climate-change-already-here
- Tollersrud E (2018) Milevis fra klimamålene. Klassekampen. https://www.klassekampen.no/article/20181009/ARTICLE/181009967. Accessed 5 Aug 2019.
- Weston P, Pettit H (2018) Eat less meat and give up your car: “unprecedented” changes humanity must make by 2030 to avoid catastrophic climate change. Daily Mail Online. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6252785/UN-report-reveals-unprecedented-changes-humanity-make-avoid-heat-drought-floods-2050.html. Accessed 3 Apr 2019.