Future evolution of extreme precipitation in the Mediterranean
Mediterranean basins can be impacted by severe floods caused by extreme rainfall, and there is a growing awareness about the possible increase in these heavy rainfall events due to climate change. In this study, the climate change impacts on extreme daily precipitation in 102 catchments covering the whole Mediterranean basin are investigated using nonstationary extreme value model applied to annual maximum precipitation in an ensemble of high-resolution regional climate model (RCM) simulations from the Euro-CORDEX experiment. Results indicate contrasted trends, with significant increasing trends in Northern catchments and conversely decreasing trends in Southern catchments. For most cases, the time of signal emergence for these trends is before the year 2000. The same spatial pattern is obtained under the two climate scenarios considered (RCP4.5 and RCP8.5) and in most RCM simulations, suggesting a robust climate change signal. The strongest multi-model agreement concerns the positive trends, which can exceed + 20% by the end of the twenty-first century in some simulations, impacting South France, North Italy, and the Balkans. For these areas, society-relevant strong impacts of such Mediterranean extreme precipitation changes could be expected in particular concerning flood-related damages.
The data used in the present work has been downloaded from the ESGF database. The authors wish to thank the participants of the Euro-CORDEX initiative. This work is a contribution to the HYdrological cycle in The Mediterranean EXperiment (HyMeX) program, through INSU-MISTRALS support. S. Somot work is supported by the HORIZON2020 EUCP project. The authors wish to acknowledge the two reviewers for their constructive comments.
- Benjamini Y, Hochberg Y (1995) Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J R Stat Soc Ser B 57:289–300Google Scholar
- Colmet-Daage A, Sanchez-Gomez E, Ricci S, Llovel C, Borrell Estupina V, Quintana-Seguí P, Llasat MC, Servat E (2018) Evaluation of uncertainties in mean and extreme precipitation under climate changes for northwestern Mediterranean watersheds from high-resolution Med and Euro-CORDEX ensembles. Hydrol Earth Syst Sci. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-2017-49
- Déqué M, Somot S (2008) Extreme precipitation and high resolution with Aladin. Idöjaras Quaterly Journal of the Hungarian Meteorological Service 112(3–4):179–190Google Scholar
- Drobinski P, Silva ND, Panthou G, Bastin S, Muller C, Ahrens B, Borga M, Conte D, Fosser G, Giorgi F, Güttler I, Kotroni V, Li L, Morin E, Onol B, Quintana-Segui P, Romera R, Torma CZ (2016) Scaling precipitation extremes with temperature in the Mediterranean: past climate assessment and projection in anthropogenic scenarios. Clim Dyn. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-016-3083-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- El Adlouni S, Ouarda TBMJ, Zhang X, Roy R, Bobée B (2007) Generalized maximum likelihood estimators for the nonstationary generalized extreme value model. Water Resour Res 43. https://doi.org/10.1029/2005WR004545
- Fantini A, Raffaele F, Torma C, Bacer S, Coppola E, Giorgi F, Verdecchia M (2016) Assessment of multiple daily precipitation statistics in ERA-Interim driven Med-CORDEX and EURO-CORDEX experiments against high resolution observations. Clim Dyn:1–24Google Scholar
- Jacob D, Petersen J, Eggert B, Alias A, Christensen OB, Bouwer L, Braun A, Colette A, Déqué M, Georgievski G, Georgopoulou E, Gobiet A, Menut L, Nikulin G, Haensler A, Hempelmann N, Jones C, Keuler K, Kovats S, Kröner N, Kotlarski S, Kriegsmann A, Martin E, Meijgaard E, Moseley C, Pfeifer S, Preuschmann S, Radermacher C, Radtke K, Rechid D, Rounsevell M, Samuelsson P, Somot S, Soussana J-F, Teichmann C, Valentini R, Vautard R, Weber B, Yiou P (2014) EURO-CORDEX: new high-resolution climate change projections for European impact research. Reg Environ Chang 14(2):563–578CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Planton S, Lionello P, Artale V, Aznar R, Carillo A, Colin J, Congedi L, Dubois C, Elizalde Arellano A, Gualdi S, Hertig E, Jordà Sanchez G, Li L, Jucundus J, Piani C, Ruti P, Sanchez-Gomez E, Sannino G, Sevault F, Somot S (2012) The climate of the Mediterranean region in future climate projections. The climate ofthe Mediterranean region. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 449–502 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ribes A, Soulivanh T, Vautard R, Dubuisson B, Somot S, Colin J, Planton S, Soubeyroux J-M (2018) Observed increase in extreme daily rainfall in the French Mediterranean. Clim Dyn. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-018-4179-2
- Ruti PM, Somot S, Giorgi F, Dubois C, Flaounas E, Obermann A, Dell’Aquila A, Pisacane G, Harzallah A, Lombardi E, Ahrens B, Akhtar N, Alias A, Arsouze T, Aznar R, Bastin S, Bartholy J, Béranger K, Beuvier J, Bouffies-Cloché S, Brauch J, Cabos W, Calmanti S, Calvet J-C, Carillo A, Conte D, Coppola E, Djurdjevic V, Drobinski P, Elizalde-Arellano A, Gaertner M, Galàn P, Gallardo C, Gualdi S, Goncalves M, Jorba O, Jordà G, L’Heveder B, Lebeaupin-Brossier C, Li L, Liguori G, Lionello P, Maciàs D, Nabat P, Onol B, Raikovic B, Ramage K, Sevault F, Sannino G, Struglia MV, Sanna A, Torma C, Vervatis V (2016) MED-CORDEX initiative for Mediterranean climate studies. Bull Am Meteorol Soc 97(7):1187–1208. https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-14-00176.1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar