Economics of downscaled climate-induced changes in cropland, with projections to 2050: evidence from Yolo County California
- 469 Downloads
This article establishes quantitative relationships between the evolution of climate and cropland using daily climate data for a century and data on allocation of land across crops for six decades in a specific agro-climatic region of California. These relationships are applied to project how climate scenarios reported by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change would drive cropland patterns into 2050. Projections of warmer winters, particularly from 2035 to 2050, cause lower wheat area and more alfalfa and tomato area. Only marginal changes in area were projected for tree and vine crops, in part because although lower, chill hours remain above critical values.
KeywordsLocal Climate Change National Agricultural Statistics Service Winter Chill Cropland Change Local Climate Variable
Funding for this research came from a grant from the California Energy Commission and the U.C. Agricultural Issues Center. We thank Louise Jackson for help throughout the project. Nathan Hendricks provided able research assistance. Lee and Sumner are both members of the U.C. Giannini Foundation.
- Bar-Am C (2009) The economic effects of climate change of the California winegrape industry. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of California, DavisGoogle Scholar
- Cayan DR, Polade S, Gershunov A, Dettinger M, Pierce D (2012) Climate change model simulations: new CMIP5 projections. Southwest CSC Meeting, Tucson, Arizona, June 13, 2012Google Scholar
- Enders W (2004) Applied econometric time series, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Gutierrez AP, Ponti L, Ellis CK, d’Oultremont T (2006) Analysis of climate effects on agricultural systems, CEC-500–2005–188-SF. California Climate Change Center, SacramentoGoogle Scholar
- Jackson L, Haden VR, Hollander AD et al (2012) Adaptation strategies for agricultural sustainability in Yolo County, California. California Energy Commission. Publication number: CEC‐500‐2012‐032Google Scholar
- Marsh B, Jackson L (2008) Small grain production manual part 12: small grains in crop rotations, publication 8175. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural ResourcesGoogle Scholar
- National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) U.S. Department of Commerce National Climatic Data Center. URL: http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/CDO/cdo
- Trenberth KE, Jones PD, Ambenje P et al (2007) Observations: surface and atmospheric climate change. In: Solomon SD, Qin M (eds) Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UKGoogle Scholar
- Water Resources Association (2005) Yolo County integrated regional water management plan backgroun data and information appendix. URL: www.yolowra.org/irwmp_documents_a.html
- Yolo County Agricultural Department. Agricultural crop reports, issues for 1937–2008, URL: http://www.yolocounty.org/Index.aspx?page=486