Study on the contamination by transuranides of pulmonata gastropoda collected in Palomares (Spain)
- 32 Downloads
A study on the contamination levels and distribution of plutonium in gastropods collected in Palomares (south-east Spain) has been performed. This region is partially contaminated with actinides following the nuclear accident occurred in 1966. The existence of plutonium in gastropods (Helix albicans and Theba pisana) along with their great gastronomic interest in the area reinforces the concern in studying the incorporation of these radioelements into a trophic level of the alimentary chain.
In this work, plutonium concentration levels have been determined in the excrements, washing waters, flesh and shell of different types of gastropods collected in the Palomares most contaminated area. Plutonium analyses have been carried out following normalized procedures for the determination of this radionuclide.
The results show the distribution of plutonium in washing and boiling water, excrements, soft tissues and shell of the snails. In addition, it has been estimated that the consumption of one kilogram of snails collected in the most contaminated area of Palomares could contribute up to 1/3 of the effective dose (due to ingestion) to the inhabitants of the area.
KeywordsEffective Dose Plutonium Melon Radioactive Contamination Nuclear Accident
- Espinosa A., Iranzo E., Bellido A. and Iranzo C.: In: III Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Española de Protección Radiológica, Valencia, 1989 (SERP).Google Scholar
- Espinosa A., Aragón A., and Martínez J.: In: VI Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Española de Protección Radiológica, Córdoba, 1996, (SERP).Google Scholar
- Aragón A. and Espinosa A.: Procedimientos normalizados CIEMAT. Madrid, 2002.Google Scholar
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 71. Annals of the ICRP, 26, No.1, 1996.Google Scholar
- Aragón A. and Espinosa A.: In: VIII Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Española de Protección Radiológica, Maspalomas, 2000, (SERP).Google Scholar
- Espinosa A. PhD Thesis, Editorial CIEMAT, Madrid, 2003, 221 pp.Google Scholar
- Aragón A. PhD Thesis, Editorial CIEMAT, Madrid, 2003, 175 pp.Google Scholar