CHRONIS: an animal chromosome image database
- 102 Downloads
We have constructed a database system named CHRONIS (CHROmosome and Nano-Information System) to collect images of animal chromosomes and related nanotechnological information. CHRONIS enables rapid sharing of information on chromosome research among cell biologists and researchers in other fields via the Internet. CHRONIS is also intended to serve as a liaison tool for researchers who work in different centers. The image database contains more than 3000 color microscopic images, including karyotypic images obtained from more than 1000 species of animals. Researchers can browse the contents of the database using a usual World Wide Web interface in the following URL: http://chromosome.med.niigata-u.ac.jp/chronis/servlet/chronisservlet. The system enables users to input new images into the database, to locate images of interest by keyword searches, and to display the images with detailed information. CHRONIS has a wide range of applications, such as searching for appropriate probes for fluorescent in situ hybridization, comparing various kinds of microscopic images of a single species, and finding researchers working in the same field of interest.
Key wordsanimals chromosome digital image retrieval database system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DNA Data Bank of Japan (DDBJ) Retrieved from http://www.ddbj.nig.ac.jp/
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) Retrieved from http://www.embl.org/
- Fagundes V, Yonenaga-Yassuda Y (1998) Evolutionary conservation of whole homeologous chromosome arms in the Akodont rodents Bolomys and Akodon (Muridae, Sigmodontinae): maintenance of interstitial telomeric segments (ITBs) in recent event of centric fusion. Chromosome Res 6: 643–648.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ikebe C, Kohno S (1991) Intraspecific karyotype variation in Hynobius kimurae Dunn (Urodela, Hynobiidae) by analysis of C-banding. Zool Sci 8: 967–972.Google Scholar
- Kawaguchi A, Satou K (1999) A database system for management and karyotype analysis of chromosome image data. Genome Inform 10: 272–273.Google Scholar
- Nadkarni PM, Reeders ST, Shifman MA, Niller PL (1992) CHROMINFO: a database for viewing and editing top-level chromosome data. Proc Annu Symp Comput Appl Med Care 4: 366–370.Google Scholar
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Genbank. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Genbank/
- Wingfield JC, Ishii S, Kikuchi M et al. (2000) Biology of a critically endangered species, the Toki (Japanese Crested Ibis) Nipponia Nippon. Birth Ornithologist Union 142: 1–11.Google Scholar
- Yosida TH, Harada M (1985) Studies on the karyotype differentiation of the Norway rat. Proc Jpn Acad 61: 307-310.Google Scholar