Optimization of dilute acid pretreatment of barley husk and oat husk and determination of their chemical composition
- 299 Downloads
The pretreatment of renewable resources is the first step to make them metabolically available for microorganisms for generation of value-added products by fermentation. In this research, barley husk (BH) and oat husk (OH) were used as renewable resources to study the optimization of dilute acid pretreatment conditions by using Response Surface Methodology (RSM). Temperature (T, 110–130 °C), solid-to-liquid ratio (S:L, 1:8–1:16 w/v), dilute sulfuric acid concentration (DSA, 1–5%, v/v), and pretreatment time (t, 30–90 min) were selected as independent variables. Their levels were specified by one-factor-at-a-time (OFAT) method according to statistically significance level (p = 0.05). OFAT results indicated that the independent variables for optimization of acid pretreatment conditions of the renewable resources were T (120–130 °C), S:L (1:8–1:12 w/v), and DSA (1–3% v/v) for BH; T (120–130 °C), S:L (1:8–1:12 w/v), and t (10–30 min) for OH. Optimum pretreatment values were 130 °C, 1:8 (w/v), 1.86% (v/v), and 30 min for BH and 130 °C, 1:8 (w/v), 1% (v/v), and 19 min for OH by using Box-Behnken RSM. Under optimal conditions, fermentable sugar concentration, total phenolics, and extract yield were determined to be 76.28, 1.12 g/L, and 55% for BH and 59.63 g/L, 0.70 g/L, and 56% for OH, respectively. Additionally, the chemical composition of hydrolysates was also evaluated in terms of maltose, glucose, xylose, arabinose, mannose, galactose, phenolics, 5-hydroxymthylfurfural, 2-furaldehyde (2-F), formic acid, and acetic acid. Catalytic efficiency values of sulfuric acid for BH and OH were 21.58 and 8.35 g/g, respectively. Consequently, this study clearly indicates that the hydrolysates from the renewable resources can be used as feedstocks for the production of value-added products by biotechnological processes.
KeywordsBarley husk Oat husk Dilute acid pretreatment Response surface methodology Chemical composition Catalytic efficiency
This study was supported by the Akdeniz University Research Foundation (Grant Number# FYL-2016–1774).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors in this study mutually agree for submitting our manuscript to Cellulose and declare that they have no conflict of interest in the publication.
- Ecaterina DP, Ionut SA, Gabriela GC, Domnica C (2014) Fodder yeast development optimisation using as main carbon source barley husks hydrolysed Romanian. Biotechnol Lett 19:9085–9095Google Scholar
- FAOSTAT (2016) http://faostat3.fao.org/download/Q/QC/E. Accessed on 23 Sept 2016
- Forbes JC, Watson D (1992) Plants in agriculture. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Germec M, Turhan I, Yatmaz E, Tetik N, Karhan M (2016d) Fermentation of acid-pretreated tea processing waste for ethanol production using Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Sci Bull Ser F Biotechnol 20:269–274Google Scholar
- Germec M, Ozcan A, Yilmazer C, Tas N, Onuk Z, Demirel F, Turhan I (2017b) Ethanol fermentation from microwave-assisted acid pretreated raw materials by Scheffersomyces stipitis. AgroLife Sci J 6:112–118Google Scholar
- Idrees M, Adnan A, Qureshi FA (2014) Comparison of acid and alkali catalytic efficiency during enzymatic saccharification of corncob and lactic acid production. Pak J Agric Sci 51:1049–1058Google Scholar
- Köten M, Ünsal S, Atlı A (2013) Evaluation of barley as human food. Turk J Agric Food Sci Technol 1:51–55Google Scholar
- Ross T (1999) Predictive food microbiology models in the meat industry. Meat and Livestock Australia, North SydneyGoogle Scholar
- Sedlak M, Ho NW (2004) Production of ethanol from cellulosic biomass hydrolysates using genetically engineered Saccharomyces yeast capable of cofermenting glucose and xylose. In: Proceedings of the twenty-fifth symposium on biotechnology for fuels and chemicals held May 4–7, 2003, Breckenridge, CO. Springer, pp 403–416Google Scholar
- Skandamis PN, Nychas G-JE (2000) Development and evaluation of a model predicting the survival of Escherichia coli O157: H7 NCTC 12900 in homemade eggplant salad at various temperatures, pHs, and oregano essential oil concentrations. Appl Environ Microbiol 66:1646–1653CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar